Wouldn't it be Nice. . .

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

HAPPYDAN

Wouldn't it be Nice. . .

Post by HAPPYDAN »

The way I understand it, if an aspiring pilot chooses the Sport Pilot route, then decides to upgrade to Recreational, and then to Private, he/she must go through the entire testing process start to finish for each one. While flying hours, with some exceptions, can serve the same for each, the Knowledge, Oral, and Practical tests must be done for each. Wouldn't it be nice if he/she only had to test on those aspects that were unique to each type? Maybe get a substantial discount also? And, is the same testing in total also true for Complex A/C, Multi-engine, Seaplane, High performance and whatever? Just asking!
TimTaylor

Re: Wouldn't it be Nice. . .

Post by TimTaylor »

There is no written test for complex, high performance, multi-engine, or seaplane. There is no flight test for complex and high-performance. It's just a checkout. The multi-engine and seaplane flight test is pretty much comprehensive.
Retired from flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

TimTaylor wrote: seaplane flight test is pretty much comprehensive.
One can do a Seaplane add-on under Sport Pilot rules, even if he or she holds higher ratings, with no flight test required. Instead, you merely need to fly a proficiency check with a CFI. That's what I had to do at Jack Brown's two years ago - since I had no current medical at that time, I couldn't fly a checkride with a DPE. (Now, with Basic Med, I could - but it's moot, because the only seaplanes I fly are LSAs).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

drseti wrote:
TimTaylor wrote: seaplane flight test is pretty much comprehensive.
One can do a Seaplane add-on under Sport Pilot rules, even if he or she holds higher ratings, with no flight test required. Instead, you merely need to fly a proficiency check with a CFI. That's what I had to do at Jack Brown's two years ago - since I had no current medical at that time, I couldn't fly a checkride with a DPE. (Now, with Basic Med, I could - but it's moot, because the only seaplanes I fly are LSAs).
I did the same thing. Have you found a place that will actually rent you a seaplane to fly solo?
Retired from flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

TimTaylor wrote: Have you found a place that will actually rent you a seaplane to fly solo?
To quote Hamlet:
Aye, there's the rub.
That problem notwithstanding, the Sport Pilot rules for adding category and class are a real game-changer. For details, see my EAA Webinar at:

http://www.eaavideo.org/detail/video/3830218310001
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

But no one is addressing the Rec & PP question Happydan posed...

Having done Flight Reviews with pilots holding all certificates, I find the ones with less than Commercial tend to have a knowledge level that scares me a bit.

So my vote for anyone upgrading to a higher certificate, I vote full testing.

BTW, my understanding of flight exams is that you can take one without a medical provided the examiner agrees to fly the test with you while acting as PIC during the test. Now it is obvious that any solo requirements for that particular test must have been accomplished while you fully met the requirements for solo.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Yes, it might be nice. However, some pilots go a long time before upgrading to a higher level certificate. It's probably good that they need to be fully tested, both written and flight test. It forces them to do a better job in upgrading their skills.
Retired from flying.