Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

bornstephen

Post by bornstephen »

Last edited by bornstephen on Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Re: VOR

Post by 3Dreaming »

Are you studying for sport pilot? The pilot handbook is for all pilots. It covers material for beginners all the way to ATP's. Not all of the book is intended for sport pilots. It has been a while since I went through the sport pilot knowledge test prep, but I don't remember any VOR questions. Now for private pilot there will be VOR questions.
bornstephen

Post by bornstephen »

3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I am not aware of a sport pilot handbook. There is a pilot handbook and sport pilot knowledge test book. There is no requirement for the use of electronic navigation for sport pilot. It is not tested on the practical test. That being said if the aircraft you are using for the practical test has a VOR the examiner might ask you about it. You should be familiar with all equipment aboard the aircraft.
bornstephen

Post by bornstephen »

bornstephen

Post by bornstephen »

Last edited by bornstephen on Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

bornstephen wrote:The plane inwill be flying is the 2007 Evektor Sportstar Plus. According to the manual, VOR capabilities are not listed. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
You have to look at the equipment list for the specific aircraft. It may have a radio that is a combination unit that also receives VOR signals. Perhaps not, but it isn't unheard of for an SLSA aircraft to have a Nav/Com.
- Bruce
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

I don't think it does.
Given this cockpit photo: http://sportpilotchicago.weebly.com/photos.html it looks like it has Garmin SL 40 which is only com.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
bornstephen

Post by bornstephen »

Last edited by bornstephen on Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

I've taken and passed the Sport Pilot (Airplane) Knowledge test twice in the last 3 years, studied Kings Schools and Sporty's Online courses, and never have seen any questions regarding VOR. 5 years ago I took a formal sit-down PPL ground school course, and VOR nav was covered extensively. But, generally speaking, the few LSAs I've seen were not VOR equipped.
bornstephen

Post by bornstephen »

Last edited by bornstephen on Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

bornstephen wrote:Thanks Dan.

Basically, there are no VOR question on the written for Sport Pilot, but PPL need to know it for the written. Also, if the LSA you are flying for your practical has VOR capabilities, then you might be tested on it. If it doesn't have it, don't worry about it.
That is a pretty fair assessment.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

The way GPS is replacing all other modes of navigation, give it a few more years and VOR will disappear even from PP courses...
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
drseti

Post by drseti »

A few points:

FWIW, both of my Evektor SportStars have VOR capability. I replaced the original SL40 in my first one with an SL30 plus OBS. The second one came equipped that way from the factory. That makes the panel suitabe for my students upgrading to Private Pilot, and even instrument training (in VMC, of course). I even use both the VOR and ILS capabilities when I travel, and to maintain my own IFR currency (in VMC, of course).

That said, yes, VOR is obsolete technology. I just heard on this week's AOPA Live that FAA is phasing out 30 VOR stations a year. So, call me a dinosaur if you wish.

Boy, I sure do miss that good old 4-course AN radio range. ;)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

drseti wrote:
Boy, I sure do miss that good old 4-course AN radio range. ;)
Even that is cheating in my book.

How we used to do it, back when men were men:

Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]