Flight review

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

theoarno

Flight review

Postby theoarno » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:22 am

As a light sport pilot is a Bi-Annual flight review required?

3Dreaming

Re: Flight review

Postby 3Dreaming » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:26 pm

Yes, it is all spelled out in CFR 61.56. If you are a sport pilot it must be done in a light sport aircraft. If you hold other than a sport pilot certificate you can do it in any aircraft you are rated for. In that case the instructor must be able to act as pilot in command if you can not.

Jim Hardin

Postby Jim Hardin » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:37 pm

Keep in mind it is not a test and you cannot "fail' it.

Since you are paying for 2 hours anyway, 1, ground & 1, flight, put it to good use!

Tell the instructor about any area that you are not comfortable with so he can work with you during the flight to include that area.

Whenever I give a flight review, I always work with the customer to try to work in areas they feel they want to explore but with an instructor rather than on their own. Might be working a tower controlled airport or a grass field may tickle your fancy. It is flying and you are there to have fun :D

TimTaylor

Postby TimTaylor » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:45 pm

You are there to demonstrate your competency as a licensed pilot. You can't fail, but you won't get signed off if you are significantly rusty and/or unsafe at the discretion of the CFI.
Commercial Pilot Airplane Single & Multiengine Land; Instrument Airplane; Sport Endorsement Airplane Single Engine Sea; Flight Instructor Airplane Single And Multiengine; Ground Instructor Advanced Instrument

MrMorden

Postby MrMorden » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:53 am

Jim Hardin wrote:Keep in mind it is not a test and you cannot "fail' it.

That’s true, but if the CFI has concerns he could decline to sign off the flight review endorsement. Usually this will be because there is something he wants to work on some more with you, which might cost an hour or two of additional training time. But if he really thinks you are a menace, he could outright refuse to sign you off, and you’d have to pay for another flight review (presumably with another CFI).
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA

TimTaylor

Postby TimTaylor » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:39 am

Or get some dual to get yourself back up to speed. Then retake the flight review with him or someone else.
Commercial Pilot Airplane Single & Multiengine Land; Instrument Airplane; Sport Endorsement Airplane Single Engine Sea; Flight Instructor Airplane Single And Multiengine; Ground Instructor Advanced Instrument

3Dreaming

Postby 3Dreaming » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:09 pm

Or you can participate in the wings program, do your 3 hours of flight training in place of a flight review. That way you are legal to fly whether you are proficient enough to have a flight instructor sign off a flight review.

drseti

Postby drseti » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:07 pm

I did an EAA webinar a couple of years back titled "Reviewing the Flight Review." You can find a link to the video on my website, at http://avsport.org/webinars.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof. H. Paul Shuch, Ph.D., CFII, LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC, iRMT
AvSport of Lock Haven
fly@AvSport.org
http://AvSport.org
http://facebook.com/SportFlying

Scooper

Postby Scooper » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:14 pm

Thanks for the link, Paul. I'm due for my flight review this month, so the timing is perfect.

http://www.eaavideo.org/detail/video/4815712141001
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XL-B LSA N601KE (KOAK)

FastEddieB

Postby FastEddieB » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:33 am

I just recently started giving flight reviews again recently, giving 3 in the last several months, in a Mooney, a C120 and an RV12.

I try to glean areas where pilots in general may be a bit deficient. I get this from forums, EAA meetings and face-to-face discussions and "hangar talk".

Here's the outline that I put together and currently use:

As far as the flight goes, I try to customize that to the pilot's experience level, aircraft and stated needs. I usually have them plan a very short cross-country and do at least one simulated engine out from directly over an airport.

If it counts for anything, I've been told the pilots got more from our time together doing the BFR than they got out of prior BFR's, which the felt were fairly perfunctory.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
FastEddieB@mac.com

Return to “Training”