Sport Pilot Test - "How to" question

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

chicagorandy

Sport Pilot Test - "How to" question

Post by chicagorandy »

For those who have already taken the written ( on a PC) ground school test at a PSI facility.

How do you mark a course or calculate distances etc. on the on-screen presentations of a sectional? Does one lay the Nav plotter on the monitor screen? Use scrap paper and pencil?

I just discovered that the Gleim study unit sectionals include tools for line drawing, dispaying the course angles, an E6B etc. but no such tools appear taking a practice on-line test. Also, on the sample tests I've done so far there doesn't seem to be a way to see the sectional full size without holding a mouse button in, tying up one hand

Yes, I ask a lot of questions, but cut me some slack, I'm old, a Vietnam Vet and a confused newbie to these things.- lol
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
tdubs

Re: Sport Pilot Test - "How to" question

Post by tdubs »

Right now I'm using the Gleim online test prep. When I do practice tests there is usually an option to resize the image. I'll try to find a screen shot when I get to work.

I have heard some suggest using the scale at the bottom of the image that shows distance and marking scrap paper with the scale that you can lay across the screen
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

tdubs wrote:Right now I'm using the Gleim online test prep. When I do practice tests there is usually an option to resize the image. I'll try to find a screen shot when I get to work.

I have heard some suggest using the scale at the bottom of the image that shows distance and marking scrap paper with the scale that you can lay across the screen
The scrap of paper approach was the one I was told to use by the testing center staff when taking the test.
In the end , while I had my E6B with me , I never had to use it. The only question related to calculating ratios/speeds I got was trivial enough to calculate in my head.
All other questions requiring supplemental sectionals were related to locating airspace, altitudes - nothing requiring any sort of calculations or measuring.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

Ah, that would simplify things.

I had visions of tying to calculate the course angle between two airports on a computer monitor. I'm presuming then that if the question involves a course correction for wind they will supply the initial numbers?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

It has been a while for me, but they should provide a hard copy supplement book with all the figures in it. You use the book with an overlay, so the book doesn't get marked up. I have one I printed and use for my private pilot ground school class I teach, when we do the final test.
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStor ... gKzC_D_BwE

I was issued one of these when I took a formal Ground School course some 4 years ago. I still use it. Just today, I re-took the Sport Pilot Airplane Knowledge Test (previous had expired) with a CATS facility, and all the figures are available in an FAA book similar to this. You may be able to find it online PDF.

Edit: Here's the FAA PDF Supplement
https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/te ... isting.pdf