Sectional Charts and Airspace? Hah!

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

chicagorandy

Sectional Charts and Airspace? Hah!

Post by chicagorandy »

That is the title of my current Gleim Study Unit.

I now know exactly what a Chocolate Labrador puppy feels like being handed the works of William Shakespeare translated into hieroglyphics.

Did I mention I have mild red/green color blindness and am convinced that 'magenta' is actually an Italian spice?

To quote that well respected philosopher Bart Simpson - "Ay Caramba!"

I have read through the unit twice now and feel more confused than when I first opened the book - lol - my Chicago region sectional chart is supposed to arrive today from Sporty's and I'm truly hoping the real thing is easier to read and understand than the slightly shrunken down versions represented in the book.

I am fully aware that my problem stems from not having a solid enough grasp on the basics of airspace classes and how they interact and where the heck they start and stop and is it an 'E' space or a "G' space and does it start from the ground, 700 ft AGL, 1200 ft AGL, 4000 ft or 27" up the south end of a northbound mule.

I suspect I need a break, some nice Ramen soup with fresh shrimp cut up into it, and some deep breathing before resuming re-read #3.

Fear not - I SHALL persevere, endure and eventually triumph over this challenge. Come heck or high water. But thanks for letting me vent.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Warmi

Re: Sectional Charts and Airspace? Hah!

Post by Warmi »

Yeah, the sectional mini-maps within the book are really hard to read - I mean, I actually preferred to look up corresponding chart section ( all these are real btw ) on https://skyvector.com/ instead of the book itself.
I am in my 40s and I can't really read tiny print the way I used be able 20 years ago :-)

The good news is that on the actual exam, FAA will give you a reference book with full resolution chart sections ( actually may be even slightly magnified ) so you won't have any issues there.

As far as airspaces - you will get it , it is not that complicated :-)
In any case try to supplement your Gleim study with outside stuff like for instance this page:
http://www.boldmethod.com/learn-to-fly/ ... e/class-e/

It will give you not just the rules but also the logic behind all of that.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

I also am afflicted with red/green color vision deficiency. Never knew it until I joined the Army and applied for flight training. Bong. But, there are alternatives if you decide to go for a 3rd class medical. The Navy uses a Farnsworth Lantern, much easier to read than those cursed Ishi-whatever plates (dot pictures), and is OK with the FAA. Failing that, you can always go for a SODA, in which you demonstrate ability to discern between red and green tower signals. Or just fly Sport and enjoy. I don't have problems with the paper Sectionals, but the computer-based sectionals that came with King and Sporty's courses can be a real challenge. Sometimes, I have to look up the appropriate Sectional on AirNav.com (free) to get the correct color.
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

There are a lot of alternatives to FAA sectional charts. Perhaps some of them have a different (or user definable for electronic) color scheme? I don't know the answer, but it seems like a possibility. It used to be the electron ones were basically images straight from the FAA. Now some of them are drawn on screen from the FAA databases, offering a lot more flexibility and accuracy.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

There are other cues you can learn besides color to help with airspace. I don't have time to expand on it now, but I can later if you want.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

HAPPYDAN wrote:Failing that, you can always go for a SODA, in which you demonstrate ability to discern between red and green tower signals.
I got my SODA nearly 40 years ago and still have it and carry it.

To the best of my recollection, when I flew with the fellow from the Opa Locka GADO, I had to identify aviation red, green, and white.

White might sound trivially easy, but I have more trouble discerning green from white than I do from red.

Anyway, I must have done well enough!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Back on point, AOPA has several online courses on airspace. Well worthwhile. Also pdf's to view at your leisure.

I review them annually, and often before giving a BFR. I find it really hard to stay up on the details.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

Spent several hours today on this Study Unit - Sectionals - and I can at least make out several things correctly and get mid to high 80's test scores. Tomorrow I'll start bright and early again learning this new-to me secret code of Sectional language. And again create and take several self tests until I can get in the mid-high 90s before proceeding. I really DO want to be able to navigate with these critters. Beats trying to read the words on water towers with binoculars- lol
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

In addition to skyvector I really love vfrmap.com. I've found the ability to zoom in and out and toggle between sectional, IFR, roadmap and sat photo views while still centered on the same place really useful. That's my go to online map reconnaissance tool.
- Bruce
drseti

Post by drseti »

I presented an EAA Webinar last summer titled "Airspace Ace." It runs an hour and a half, and is available for free from their archives, at:

http://www.eaavideo.org/detail/video/5035442058001

Hope you find it helpful.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

THANKS! for the link Paul - it was a highly informative and helpful webinar. I'm certain that I'll be glued to the PC screen for many, many more down the road.