Training in the Northeast???

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

tdubs

Re: Training in the Northeast???

Post by tdubs »

Thanks Paul, I really appreciate the kind words! I'm encouraged to hear that others have had success getting back in the air after a long hiatus. I wanted to make sure I wasn't being delusional in thinking I could do that and making an irrational and emotional decision to continue training based on my desire to do this only to have it end up having been a waste of money. I guess right now really is the best time for me to get it done while I have the time. I've been working on revising my budget and looking at day care costs and holy ****, can I just send the kid to Rutgers now instead since it would cost about the same? I've got a pretty nice SIM setup here too, so I figure that can keep me sharp on procedures if I use it right. I'll definitely keep you in mind out there if my closer options don't work out.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Learning to fly is an irrational and emotional decision. But, it's fun.
Retired from flying.
tdubs

Post by tdubs »

TimTaylor wrote:Learning to fly is an irrational and emotional decision. But, it's fun.
Can't agree with you more there. I'm so excited to finally be able to go back up tomorrow after being on the ground for the last two months.
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

For a long time I considered sending my three kids to one of those Sally Struthers countries where they could get fed for $0.50 a day.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
tdubs

Post by tdubs »

chicagorandy wrote:For a long time I considered sending my three kids to one of those Sally Struthers countries where they could get fed for $0.50 a day.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I told my wife we should just buy a second house and offer free housing to someone in exchange to childcare. At least then we would be building equity. Either that or get a wolf. I hear they raise children :-)
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

tdubs wrote:
chicagorandy wrote:For a long time I considered sending my three kids to one of those Sally Struthers countries where they could get fed for $0.50 a day.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I told my wife we should just buy a second house and offer free housing to someone in exchange to childcare. At least then we would be building equity. Either that or get a wolf. I hear they raise children :-)
Or eat them! :shock:
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

tdubs wrote:Thanks Paul, I really appreciate the kind words! I'm encouraged to hear that others have had success getting back in the air after a long hiatus. I wanted to make sure I wasn't being delusional in thinking I could do that and making an irrational and emotional decision to continue training based on my desire to do this only to have it end up having been a waste of money. I guess right now really is the best time for me to get it done while I have the time. I've been working on revising my budget and looking at day care costs and holy ****, can I just send the kid to Rutgers now instead since it would cost about the same? I've got a pretty nice SIM setup here too, so I figure that can keep me sharp on procedures if I use it right. I'll definitely keep you in mind out there if my closer options don't work out.
When I went to Rutgers, a million years ago(ok, I graduated in '81), it was $500/semester for state residents.
tdubs

Post by tdubs »

When I took a look today the annual in-state tuition was $14,600. I have been searching online for daycare cost and almost everyone says "call us", I assume to keep anyone from passing out at their keyboards. I found one place near my wife's job that posts their tuition; $1380/month!!! They don't even feed them for that! A buddy of mine has two kids in daycare and said it's more than his mortgage. I'm giving more serious thought to getting that wolf lol
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Whatever it is today, it will double 2 or 3 times by the time your kid goes to college. If it's $15,000 per year now, it will be $60,000 to $100,000 per year by then. Health care cost will be another killer (pun intended) regardless of what plan we have, Democrat, Republican, or whatever. If I was a young person, I think I would plan to save every penny possible unless I was in a very highly compensated profession.
Retired from flying.
tdubs

Post by tdubs »

TimTaylor wrote:Whatever it is today, it will double 2 or 3 times by the time your kid goes to college. If it's $15,000 per year now, it will be $60,000 to $100,000 per year by then. Health care cost will be another killer (pun intended) regardless of what plan we have, Democrat, Republican, or whatever. If I was a young person, I think I would plan to save every penny possible unless I was in a very highly compensated profession.
I don't know, at some point I think the market has to stabilize in both areas. I see an emerging trend in education of specific, targeted training. Whether it's nanodegrees or massive open online classes (MOOCs) I think employers are going to need to begin embracing non traditional forms of education if they want to find the best people for their businesses. I know this will probably be an unpopular opinion, and some might even think it irresponsible, but my wife and I do not plan on saving for college. Neither of us went and we're not doing too bad for ourselves. We live in a time when you have the worlds knowledge available on a device that fits in the palm of your hand. I don't see the value of paying an institution ungodly sums of money to learn things that A) you can teach yourself and B) you will never need to know. I think the greatest tragedy of our education system had been pushing kids away from learning trades, labeling those as "for the dumb kids". Instead it's "everyone needs to learn to code". I'm sorry, but not everyone is cut out for that and the country needs plumbers, electricians, and auto mechanics. I got to where I am by making good choices with my time, not by driving myself into crippling debt. When I got home from work I didn't sit on the couch watching reality TV. I read and learned new skills, and worked on side projects that benefited my employer, and by extension myself. Now, there are some professions where higher education is a requirement, and if our kids want to pursue one of those professions they will need to find a way to make it work. But they will also learn that nothing is life is handed to you, you have to work for what you want. I can't see us sacrificing our retirement, and missing out on our passions on this one time we have on the planet to fuel an over credentialed under educated mentality that has gripped this country just because "it's what you do". I've interviewed people for entry level positions and have been both amazed and deeply saddened by how little they know with their $60k education. I'm sorry if this has turned into a screed against higher education, but it infuriates me when I read stories about kids graduating with $50k of debt to only be able to find $25k/year jobs.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

In that case, health care and retirement would probably be the two main things you need to make sure you have covered, IMHO. My goal is to leave $1 million to each of my 2 kids after my wife and I are gone to help them with retirement and educating our grand kids (3 so far). For me, that gets complicated by the fact my wife will probably outlive me by 20 years and I need to cover her also.
Retired from flying.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

3Dreaming wrote:
tdubs wrote:
chicagorandy wrote:Either that or get a wolf. I hear they raise children :-)
Either way, problem solved! :twisted:
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
tdubs

Post by tdubs »

FastEddieB wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:
tdubs wrote:
Either way, problem solved! :twisted:
Hahahahaha, I didn't want to be the one to say it. My wife might find these postings one day :-)
tdubs

Post by tdubs »

I had my lesson on Sunday in Allentown and I was very happy with how it went, and Art seems like a great instructor. The Evektor handled much differently than the Skycatcher and I had a great time. The nose wheel steering made it MUCH easier to taxi than the free castering nose wheel on the Cessna. I also found the Evektor a lot more responsive in the air. Just a gentle touch had a big impact. We worked on getting me familiar with the handling characteristics of the aircraft, did right and left 360 degree turns, went over the practice area boundaries, and went over a very thorough pre flight. I'm going to go out every Wednesday (weather permitting) and do a couple of lessons. I'm really looking forward to it.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Sounds like a plan. Have fun.
Retired from flying.