Training in the Northeast???

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

FastEddieB

Re: Training in the Northeast???

Post by FastEddieB »

Good on you!

Certainly, switching planes can feel like a bit of a setback. Just when you’re getting used to one, all new procedures and feels on the new one take getting used to.

At first, I recall how different each plane felt. But it may already have dawned on you that, at their core, they’re all pretty much the same, albeit with minor quirks and idiosyncrasies to adjust to.

But sometimes one plane just “clicks” for you, and it sounds like maybe the Evektor did that for you!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
tdubs

Post by tdubs »

The hardest thing about switching for me is getting a feeling for where everything is. I had the Skycatcher in MS FSX so I was able to study where everything was well before I even had my first lesson. The first time looking at the instrument cluster in the Evektor felt like I was a bind man and someone had just rearranged my furniture. I'm kicking myself for not doing this on Sunday, but the next time I'm out there I'm going to take a good picture of the cockpit so I can study the positions of everything and get myself more familiar with the layout. It will make things move a lot quicker knowing what switches I'm going to be flipping while going through the checklists and where they are.

But, just like you said, at their core they are all pretty much the same. It's just gonna be like breaking in a pair of new shoes. I did like being able to see into my turns with the low wing
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

tdubs wrote:I did like being able to see into my turns with the low wing
That’s a definite plus, but don’t forget that there’s a trade off - the low wing blocks your view away from the direction of turn. That’s got to be considered, especially making turns in the pattern, and especially on the turn to final when there’s a tendency to be focused on the numbers.

But keep up the good work!
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

FastEddieB wrote:
tdubs wrote:I did like being able to see into my turns with the low wing
That’s a definite plus, but don’t forget that there’s a trade off - the low wing blocks your view away from the direction of turn. That’s got to be considered, especially making turns in the pattern, and especially on the turn to final when there’s a tendency to be focused on the numbers.

But keep up the good work!
After years of flying I see it completely opposite. When I roll into a turn with a high wing it blocks everything I want to look at. I can't see the runway or other aircraft that may be in the space which I am turning towards.

Now before you start the turn the low wing blocks your view, but as soon as you bank you have a clear shot of what you are turning towards.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

I was just emphasizing how important it is to look - let’s say for traffic on final - before you roll into the bank. Once banked your view may be blocked by the raised wing.

I did NOT mean to imply that one is better than the other, though many pilots have a preference for one or the other. But that’s perhaps a topic that deserves its own thread.

And a good place to repeat how fortunate I am in my Sky Arrow - I have virtually no restriction to the view in turns in either direction. High wing but the wing set back so it’s virtually completely out of sight of the pilot:

When I jump into other planes, I’m reminded of that fact.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

3Dreaming wrote:After years of flying I see it completely opposite. When I roll into a turn with a high wing it blocks everything I want to look at. I can't see the runway or other aircraft that may be in the space which I am turning towards.
Now before you start the turn the low wing blocks your view, but as soon as you bank you have a clear shot of what you are turning towards.
I agree.
The high wing in the turn blocks things I am turning away from . . . hopefully leaving it behind me.
The low wing now gives me a great view of what is focused in front of me, I.e. situation, runway, lights, airport layout and traffic ahead. What's behind then, is of little interest.

All that withstanding, at my age and physic, it sure is easier . . . getting into . . . and out of . . . my high-wing (CTSW).

To each his own.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

FastEddieB wrote:I was just emphasizing how important it is to look - let’s say for traffic on final - before you roll into the bank. Once banked your view may be blocked by the raised wing.

I did NOT mean to imply that one is better than the other, though many pilots have a preference for one or the other. But that’s perhaps a topic that deserves its own thread.

And a good place to repeat how fortunate I am in my Sky Arrow - I have virtually no restriction to the view in turns in either direction. High wing but the wing set back so it’s virtually completely out of sight of the pilot:

When I jump into other planes, I’m reminded of that fact.
Well, yeah ... but then again .. you don't get to look at your partner :-) There are always compromises ..
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Warmi wrote:
Well, yeah ... but then again .. you don't get to look at your partner :-) There are always compromises ..
True, but there are always selfies!

Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Flight Engineer station? :D
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
tdubs

Post by tdubs »

OK, so I had my second lesson in the Evektor on Wednesday. I left my house at 7:15am and made it to the airport around 9. We begin with the preflight. Left side looks good, Tail looks good, moving over to the right side. Take a look underneath and look over at the left main gear. "Ummm, should fluid be all over the tire like that?" Obviously, no, it should not. The caliper was leaking fluid all over the place. The first half of the day became a maintenance lesson :-). We got the plane jacked up, removed the wheel, caliper, and my instructor rebuilt the caliper and replaced the bad O ring. We did manage to get an hour of flying in by 2:30 so the day wasn't a total loss. Since we were a little short on time we just continued to work of steep turns. All in all it was still a great day.