Rainier Flight Service

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

HAPPYDAN

Rainier Flight Service

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Yeah, it's me again. Possibly helplessly hooked. Can't stop thinking about how I like it "up there". So is anyone here familiar with Rainier Flight Service, located at Renton Muni in Renton Washington? I have called and talked, the nice lady on the phone seemed to be familiar with Sport Pilot training and certificating; unusual, because all of the other (7!) instructors I have trained with elsewhere really had no knowledge of specific requirements, and only 1 had a syllabus (he didn't follow). Online reviews are favorable, but those can be unreliable. Again, any input provided is greatly appreciated.
TimTaylor

Re: Rainier Flight Service

Post by TimTaylor »

Never mind.
Last edited by TimTaylor on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired from flying.
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

TimTaylor wrote:I guess I'll ask this question again. If you have to travel somewhere to finish up, why not travel to Penn or Ohio and finish up with Paul or Tom? Stay for 2 weeks and "git-er-done."
That is certainly an option, but this has to be without the wife knowing. After a recent expensive failed attempt in Oshkosh WI, she became pretty sour on the whole idea. So a 30-45 minute drive can be rationalized, but an extended road trip - maybe not. And, Rainier has 4 Skycatchers, so I wouldn't be starting all over in an unfamiliar plane. I know we have some members here from the PNW, so I'm hoping to get some first hand feedback.
Last edited by HAPPYDAN on Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Oh, if you live there, that makes sense. I drive an hour to the airport and an hour home every time I fly.
Retired from flying.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Here is another point. Learning to fly is fun. Everyone is in a hurry to get their license, but they don't have to be. Enjoy the journey and take as long as it takes. It took me a year to get my Private because I was a 16 year old kid and only had money to fly 30 minutes a week most weeks. I also had to be 17, so there was no rush.
Retired from flying.