Sport to PPL Requiremetns

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

kbrown66

Sport to PPL Requiremetns

Post by kbrown66 »

Just wanted to confirm...Cross Country time as a Sport Pilot count towards the 5 hrs of Solo Cross Country flying required for PPL Certificate??? I have nearly 40 hrs of Cross Country as a Sport Pilot. I still have to do the 150nm between 3 points w/ one over 50nm.
3Dreaming

Re: Sport to PPL Requiremetns

Post by 3Dreaming »

Yes, your cross country time counts.
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

That's good to know. :D I'm considering the same path. What's been your motivation to pursue the PPL?
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A
kbrown66

Post by kbrown66 »

Since sport plane rentals are hard to find in the area, this gives me significantly more options until I decide to buy. also, due to the limited useful loads and wanting to carry at least one additional passenger (maybe more), this is a better option. I didn't have any issue with medical...just wasn't sure how far i'd take the flying when I started. However, like most, I caught the bug and I absolutely should have started flying much earlier in my life and not waited til I was 50.
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

There's only one light sport capable plane for rent in my area: the one I trained in! But I bought a Luscombe three years ago and solved that problem. I'm more interested in higher performance at this point, and there are more choices for ownership at lower prices in the certified market.

Of course, there's the possibility that LSA values will plummet following the passage of BasicMed.
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A