Is sport aviation dying?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

mhaleem

Is sport aviation dying?

Post by mhaleem »

It may be too early with the recent basic med passage, but do you guys/gals see a decline in folks pursuing sport pilot training as a result of the new rules?
Tuskegee U Alum
Jim Hardin

Re: Is sport aviation dying?

Post by Jim Hardin »

There will be some effect.

But we have not had a single call from someone asking about BaseMed. And when we bring it up, they don't think they can qualify. Now keep in mind that this is one place and it is too early to claim a result.

Other FBO's I talk have not seen a surge in BaseMed pilots beating down their doors. Again, one place.

Curious if others have seen a surge of interest?
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I wonder how many pilots who quit flying over the past 10 years even know about Basic Med? Maybe their medical expired and they didn't want to fly LSA so they moved on to other interest.
Retired from flying.
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

TimTaylor wrote:I wonder how many pilots who quit flying over the past 10 years even know about Basic Med? Maybe their medical expired and they didn't want to fly LSA so they moved on to other interest.
That is a very good question!

During my 12 year layoff I kept my AOPA & EAA memberships active and renewed my CFI every 2 years. So I was able to keep abreast of things that were stirring in aviation. But I would bet that a lot who dropped out don't keep up.

Wonder how to reach them?
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I think you could get that information through the FAA records, public info AFAIK.
Retired from flying.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

If it is dying then it shouldn't take weeks/months for Faa to process aircraft registrations or N number changes ...
But I guess it is a government agency and thus rational rules don't apply.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

It's called sequestration.
Retired from flying.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Since they are inherently inefficient and wasteful , I would rather have then sequestered to death - it won't make a difference in their level of service anyway ( it never does ) but at least will save us some money.
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

Warmi wrote:If it is dying then it shouldn't take weeks/months for Faa to process aircraft registrations or N number changes ...
But I guess it is a government agency and thus rational rules don't apply.
It took mine seven days from the time I mailed the application until i got the registration in the mail. I have to admit I was a bit surprised. This is better than most companies one must deal with, especially insurance.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Almost 5 weeks for the registration part and still waiting for the N number change part ( 2+ weeks so far )