Swan Song

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

HAPPYDAN

Swan Song

Post by HAPPYDAN »

After 3 years of trying, 95 hours of flying, 3 serious attempts starting over basically from the beginning, and 7 different instructors; not to mention umpteen thousands of dollars spent, 3 ground school training courses (Jeppeson, King, and Sporty's), a 3rd class Medical (with added grief of initial denial), 2 student pilot certificates, hundreds of miles driven and flown, and - topper - a 3 week EAA Sport Pilot Academy, which resulted in more hours flown and just another solo, not-so-HAPPYDAN is officially throwing in the towel. While I truly enjoy flying, I have decided it is pointless to continue this fruitless pursuit. Thanks to all who have been so helpful and patient, and I do wish you all the best of luck in your endeavors.

Good Bye.
Daniel G Busch, MAJ, USAR (Retired)
joey4420

Re: Swan Song

Post by joey4420 »

Sorry to hear it isn't going to work out. Wishing you the best in your next venture.
Joey
Cincinnati OH
Sport Pilot
Double Eagle N35DE
RTK

Post by RTK »

Wow Dan, sorry to hear of the decision, though with the tough road you've had, I can't say I blame you.

Since you've solo'd, what's holding you back from getting the endorsement for a checkride?
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Flying is not for everyone. However, all your previous pitfalls are more-or-less sunk cost. The basic question is do you really enjoy flying and do you think you possess the skill sets to ever fly safely and comfortably. Also, does the expense of flying as a hobby fit into your budget. If not, then I would move on. Otherwise, I might look for another training situation where things can be more consistent.
Retired from flying.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

That's too bad.

My only suggestion would be to not close the door completely. Slumps and discouragement are common on the road to a license. In other words, this too may pass.

But there are certainly a lot of hobbies out there that can bring excitement, joy and satisfaction. When I took a hiatus from flying for a couple years, I dived into motorcycling - and was pleased at how many discretionary dollars were freed up to pursue that passion.

In any case, if you find yourself in my neck of the woods don't hesitate to touch base - maybe I can relight that spark!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

Well, Dan, you gave it a fair shot. Sorry it didn't work out for you. If you're ever in Central PA and want to get some flying in (strictly for fun; no training pressure whatever), please do drop me a PM.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

Sorry to hear this, though from your list it sounds like that might save you some serious cash and headaches...
Ed