Frustrated by Canceled Lessons

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

tdubs

Re: Frustrated by Canceled Lessons

Post by tdubs »

I just wanted to post an update to this topic. Looks like this might have been a case of my CFI not wanting to scare the crap out of me right out of the gate like HAPPYDAN said above. I had a couple of lessons this past weekend and on Saturday the winds were around 10kts when we started off, but were gusting to 18kts (pretty much full x-wind) toward the end of the lesson. When we came in for out last approach we were maybe 30ft off the runway when BOOM. Wind tried to blow us into the grass. My CFI took the plane, added power, re stabilized it, and got it down. We were definitely done for the day and he canceled his later lessons. He did say when we were heading back to the ramp that going forward those would be the kind of conditions he would cancel a lesson for, but I think the fact that I didn't soil myself, and was fine with the bumps going up, helped to increase the threshold for when he will cancel. I'm up to 4.3 hours now, and I've gotten S turns and turn around a point nailed down. We spent yesterday working on take offs and landings. It really kicks you *ss starting out trying to handle the radio, while trying to maintain your alt, remember when to cut power, look out for traffic, remember carb heat, where to drop flaps, and try to take in the procedures the instructors explaining. It's sooooooo much fun though. Gonna have to tell my wife to get a second job to pay for this addiction :-)
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Off topic, but...

Do you own a TDub?

That's a Yamaha TW200 for the uninitiated!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
tdubs

Post by tdubs »

No, it's just a play on my initials.