Finally did my x - country solo!

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

pjdavis

Finally did my x - country solo!

Post by pjdavis »

Early last month I posted about my ill-fated x-country solo. Early into my 1st leg a front came through and I felt like I was riding a bull! Now I know most of it was in my head - but the bottom line I felt uncomfortable enough that it turned into fear and I aborted the flight. I went back up a few days later with my CFI and it was really bumpy, etc. I know most of it was in my head. I put serious thought to quitting and accepting I just don't have it.. But kept flying solo and dual. Last Thursday morning I was scheduled for for solo flight ( pattern and practice area) and the day before I decided I was going to do the solo x-country. That evening I get a text that the plane was down for maintenance - man was I bummed as the next few days looked lousy! That morning I got a text at 10:00 am - the place was fixed - I ran out of the office was in the airplane 2 hours later and did it! It was a little bumpy but I said the hell with - fly the plane and soon forgot about the bumps....I learned - ignore them and they will ignore you!

To sum it up - I did it! Driving home that afternoon I was wondering what the big deal was before - yes it was rough but maybe my mountain is a mole hill to most seasoned pilots, that to will hopefully happen to me. For right now I still don't like bumps but I am learning to live with them.

PJ
joey4420

Re: Finally did my x - country solo!

Post by joey4420 »

Congrats, can't wait to do mine.
Joey
Cincinnati OH
Sport Pilot
Double Eagle N35DE
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

Awesome, glad it worked out!
Ed
Kiddbats

Post by Kiddbats »

Awesome way to stick with it and not let your fear control you!
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

Nice job pj!

With the light wing loadings that most LSA's have, the bumps do get tiresome...

I see Al is flying out to Nevada this week - think of the bumps he will have :D
pjdavis

Post by pjdavis »

Jim - Al was born with bumps!!!!!!!!!!