Checkride Scheduled

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

rcpilot
Posts: 234
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:32 pm
Location: Mastic, NY

Re: Checkride Scheduled

Postby rcpilot » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:20 am

I would just reschedule and do it all at one time. I had to do that, twice. I think the DPEs prefer to just do it all at one time anyway.

User avatar
Jim Hardin
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:33 pm

Re: Checkride Scheduled

Postby Jim Hardin » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:15 am

What have you decided at this point?

Unless the aircraft availability has changed, I would go with the Oral now and flight test later. You will feel a lot more confident with 1/2 of it out of the way.

foresterpoole
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:28 pm
Location: Alexandria, LA

Re: Checkride Scheduled

Postby foresterpoole » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:14 pm

At this point I'm probably going wait until this weekend and look at the hour meter, flight schedule and the extended forecast. I'd like to get at least part of it out of the way if possible, but it's still up in the air.
Ed

foresterpoole
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:28 pm
Location: Alexandria, LA

Re: Checkride Scheduled

Postby foresterpoole » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:43 pm

Well, it appears my hand has been forced. The plane is barely flying so time is not an issue, however I got a call from the flight school and my CFI dropped all his students and is moving on. This should not be an issue, however, he was going to sign off on my xcountry endorsement to fly to the check ride, now that he is gone no one is left i have flown with long enough to sign off and next week's schedule is full, so I can't go up and fly with another instructor to get the sign-off. Not the end of the world, I'm not giving up, but it's super frustrating, I'm so ready to do this!
Ed

3Dreaming
Posts: 2095
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:13 pm
Location: noble, IL USA

Re: Checkride Scheduled

Postby 3Dreaming » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:47 pm

foresterpoole wrote:Well, it appears my hand has been forced. The plane is barely flying so time is not an issue, however I got a call from the flight school and my CFI dropped all his students and is moving on. This should not be an issue, however, he was going to sign off on my xcountry endorsement to fly to the check ride, now that he is gone no one is left i have flown with long enough to sign off and next week's schedule is full, so I can't go up and fly with another instructor to get the sign-off. Not the end of the world, I'm not giving up, but it's super frustrating, I'm so ready to do this!


If he made the endorsements correctly your old instructor is on the hook for you being able to make the cross country. All one of the new instructors will need to do is review your planning to make sure it is correct, make sure all your endorsements are correct, and verify that the weather is OK for you to make the flight VFR. It is spelled out in 61.93 (d). The endorsement for making cross country flight should have been made by your old instructor. This is covered under 61.93 (c).

Izzy
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:13 pm

Re: Checkride Scheduled

Postby Izzy » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:30 pm

Congratulations! Other than that first solo many moons ago definitely the second most memorable moment for me.
Enjoy the experience. Not that you asked but, I share only ONE suggestion.....Focus on being SAFE.

Izzy

foresterpoole
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:28 pm
Location: Alexandria, LA

Re: Checkride Scheduled

Postby foresterpoole » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:03 pm

3Dreaming was correct another CFI signed off on my xcountry, no problems. Talked with the DPE today, seems really nice down to earth guy. Got my assignment for a cross country plan and his weight for the weight and balance, pretty straight forward. He is pretty flexible and said we can either cancel or get a letter of discontinuance either is fine with him, I'd still have to drive to him for the oral, so canceling would save me an hour drive, gas and $500.00 with a 60 day window to finish and an overhaul looming. The clouds and visability still look great, but wind predictions have increased from 10 gusts to 15 now it's 14 gusts to 20. Even if it's right down runway heading, it's going to be a bumpy ride. I'll make a call Saturday but I'm not comfortable with that much wind and such a light plane. I delayed my solo cross country for a few weeks, I figure I can wait until conditions are more favorable.
Ed

3Dreaming
Posts: 2095
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:13 pm
Location: noble, IL USA

Re: Checkride Scheduled

Postby 3Dreaming » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:22 pm

It's still a litte ways out, the forecast can change.

If I had been around the area, I would have gladly reviewed your planning and signed you off for the cross country.

User avatar
joey4420
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:25 am
Location: Cincinnati Ohio

Re: Checkride Scheduled

Postby joey4420 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:29 pm

Weather is only as good as the current forecast for the day of, and even then it isn't always true.

Did my Dual cross country last week and even skipped stopping for a few touch and go's at an airport in route due to time. The plane was scheduled to be back out at noon and I landed at 11:45 as it was. Pulled in and even parked near the fuel truck to find out the next person had cancelled due to the wind that was predicted in the TAF. When I left at 14:00 it was just then starting to pick up and didn't get bad till around 17:00.

Wish you the best and hope the weather is in your favor.
Joey
Cincinnati OH
Sport Pilot
Ercoupe N99773

foresterpoole
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:28 pm
Location: Alexandria, LA

Re: Checkride Scheduled

Postby foresterpoole » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:19 pm

Just a little update, got all my paperwork in order, xcountry plan looked great according to my CFI, all ready to go, then the weather hit later than expected (your right Joey, the forecast changes), and it now shows IFR/MVFR all day tomorrow. Add to that two Airmet's for moderate turbulence and low level windshear below 15,000 and winds 15 gusting to 20+ and in my mind it does not get any more "no go" than that to me so I called up and rescheduled for the 6th of May. Now, the planes going down in 7 hours for a new engine so hopefully it will be ready. I can say on one hand I'm disappointed, on the other it allows for more study and practice and probably more favorable conditions. Here is hoping the DPE thinks I exhibited good ADM and does not think I was squirly or a woosy-pants...
Ed

TimTaylor
Posts: 419
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:17 pm

Re: Checkride Scheduled

Postby TimTaylor » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:11 am

I don't fly light sport VFR in those conditions and I've been doing this for over 50 years.

rcpilot
Posts: 234
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:32 pm
Location: Mastic, NY

Re: Checkride Scheduled

Postby rcpilot » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:29 am

Don't worry. I rescheduled mine twice because of forecasted winds and the DPE thought I made a good choice. They want you to do well, so the more favorable the weather the better.

3Dreaming
Posts: 2095
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:13 pm
Location: noble, IL USA

Re: Checkride Scheduled

Postby 3Dreaming » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:57 am

As the applicant the choice on whether you go or not is up to you. Your choice to go or not should never be effected by what you think the examiner will think, or anyone else for that matter. Establish a set of personal minimums, and for a new pilot the more conservative the better. Any good examiner should not fault you for not flying if the conditions are beyond your personal minimums. In my opinion you made the right choice.

foresterpoole
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:28 pm
Location: Alexandria, LA

Re: Checkride Scheduled

Postby foresterpoole » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:42 pm

Another update, the plane will not be ready on Saturday, I called and canceled, it hit the 2000 tbo as expected and they are pulling the engine. So I'm pushed back til probably May or June. It really sucks because the weather Saturday looks gorgeous....
Ed

3Dreaming
Posts: 2095
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:13 pm
Location: noble, IL USA

Re: Checkride Scheduled

Postby 3Dreaming » Tue May 02, 2017 9:06 am

foresterpoole wrote:Another update, the plane will not be ready on Saturday, I called and canceled, it hit the 2000 tbo as expected and they are pulling the engine. So I'm pushed back til probably May or June. It really sucks because the weather Saturday looks gorgeous....


Its a shame that you have to wait. They could have postponed the engine change until after your rescheduled date. Rotax does allow for exceeding TBO by up to 5%.


Return to “Training”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests