Error on my test results

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Ecoloqua

Error on my test results

Post by Ecoloqua »

Im in the middle of my flight training and decided to go back over my knowledge test results to have a look at the PLT codes.
Ever since I received my score of 78 I thought something was wrong. I studied hard and was consistently scoring in the 90's on all my practice exams. I came in fully prepared with E6B, pencils, plotter etc. Guess what?? NOT ONE SINGLE NAVIGATION QUESTION ON THE TEST. Yep.....I kept thinking ok maybe I will get to use my E6B on the next question....nope...in fact the E6B, plotter and calculator were never used. Before I knew it, the test was over. I was really wondering why there were no Nav questions but I kept my mouth shut. The guy handed me my results and a 78 score. I was shocked. Fast forward to tonight and I am going over the PLT codes for the questions that I supposedly missed and one of them is PLT 200 which reads--Dead reckining, Nav/Charts. Now can someone explain to me how I missed a NAV. question when there were NONE on the test??? I cant find anywhere where it says how to dispute those results and the more I think about it the angrier I get. My score should have at least been in the high 80's

I am dreading presenting this score to a DPE when it time to take my practical.
3Dreaming

Re: Error on my test results

Post by 3Dreaming »

Don't dread the DPE. To him the fact that you passed is all he cares about. He will be able to tell real quick if your knowledge level is sufficient with the first few questions he ask. If you are prepared and know the answers you will do fine.
Ecoloqua

Post by Ecoloqua »

The consensus seems to be to leave it alone and roll with it. My CFI on the other hand recommends taking it over. He says the DPE that he uses will undoubtedly look at the score and make the oral an ordeal. He is vey experienced and I respect his viewpoint a great deal.

It bears mentioning that I self studied with an online course and took the test well before I started the flight training with him.
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

I think I'd take it again just for my own peace of mind, if nothing else. If I scored way below what I expected to, I'd worry that maybe I don't know the stuff as well as I think I do. Re-testing and getting a good score would be worth it to me just for the added confidence.
1/2
----------------
I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

Just my 2 cents, I had the same reaction, I did not need an E6B or plotter. The questions I missed were simply my fault going too fast and not reading the whole question or misunderstanding what they were asking.

I've been Ltd that each DPE is different, the one that my school uses is "through but puts you at ease." Whatever that means, I've talked to a few CFI's and what I interpret is does not matter what your written score was, he is going to cover everything.
Ed
Ecoloqua

Post by Ecoloqua »

I have to agree with you guys. I heard back from quite a few CFI's and they all say the same thing. Just leave it alone and study the PLT codes for the questions missed. My CFI is the only one that is recomending that I take it again. Perhaps it is because I studied and took the test a few weeks before starting my flight training with him. He knows the DPE well and probably doesn't want my score to reflect negatively on him. If the issue comes up at all I will just make sure the DPE knows that I took the test well before I started training with my CFI.