Question ?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

MartyTaylor1264

Question ?

Post by MartyTaylor1264 »

I contacted a trainer For LSA semi close to home. Two hours away. For her to train me she wants me to join the local flying club @ 200.00 initial fee and 90.00 per month dues. Then 165 for the plane per hour and 40 an hour for instruction.My question is this normal ?
3Dreaming

Re: Question ?

Post by 3Dreaming »

The cost per hour for the airplane sounds high to me, especially with the $200 join and $90 per month. What kind of airplane? I suppose that could make a difference if it is something like a Carbon Cub. For comparison I charge $110 per hour for my CTLS wet, and a cheap $40 for instruction. No other hidden fees.
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

If the plane is owned buy the club, that plane rental sounds pretty steep. What does the club membership do for you?

OTOH, it is perfectly normal for training, and flying in general, to cost all your disposable income plus the rent and grocery money besides. You might look into having your paycheck direct-deposited to your instructor, and then having her give you a small weekly living allowance.
1/2
----------------
I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

I'm with 3D - sounds kind of high to me also. But it might be a particular type of expensive to operate plane, or possibly a lease-back. I guess it comes down to how bad you want to do it? If you were able to fly 12-20 hours a month it might all work out OK. I ride a Skycatcher for $110/hour wet (10 hour block rate) and $40 for instructor, right off the Hobbs, no other costs involved including pre and post briefings. But between weather and all the others seeking ratings, I might only get 2-4 hours a month. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

I rent a Technam P92 for $95/hour wet plus $35/hour for the instructor. The plane has 2000+ hours so not new but airworthy all the same. I'm with everyone else that kind of sounds steep. Now if they are training in a brand new Bristell with leather and glass or higher end LSA it may be normal (I don't know). Also, where are you located, that might make a difference since fuel prices can very by state/region. I'm lucky we are practically sitting on a refinery and state gas taxes are low here....
Ed
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

I rent pretty old (2000 hours + ) Remos planes for something like $115 per hour + $60 for the instructor.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
Kiddbats

Post by Kiddbats »

I rent a Sportscruiser at $110/Hr wet or a Mystique at $95.00/Hr wet and $40.00/HR for the instruction.... Yours seems high
pjdavis

Post by pjdavis »

I train in the Bristell, $134.00 per hour wet and $50.00 for the instructor.

PJ
joey4420

Post by joey4420 »

Since we are all posting....

Skycatcher $102hr
Gold Seal CFI $51hr
Todays flight $239.70

Value $Priceless :mrgreen:
Joey
Cincinnati OH
Sport Pilot