Aborted Solo Cross Country - Got thrown arounbd in the Sky

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

ct4me

Re: Aborted Solo Cross Country - Got thrown arounbd in the Sky

Post by ct4me »

I like what RTK says... In fact, I use that analogy with all non-pilot passengers. Having them notice that what we believe is a smooth ride in a car, isn't really smooth, sets their expectations for a ride in a small airplane.

Down here in the Southwest, we have horribly bumpy flying a lot. The ground heats up and the thermals create a nasty bumpy environment. You either get used to it, or fly very early or late. Back when I was starting, I remember holding the stick with such a death-grip that my hand would go numb. Over time, I've gotten used to the bumps and am able to fly with just a light touch of two fingers (I still hate it though!). Sometimes, to reduce pilot workload, I use the autopilot a lot, and reserve my energy for the really rough stuff.
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com