training

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

MartyTaylor1264

training

Post by MartyTaylor1264 »

Can Any Ga CFI train sport pilots?
3Dreaming

Re: training

Post by 3Dreaming »

MartyTaylor1264 wrote:Can Any Ga CFI train sport pilots?
Do you mean Georgia or General Aviation? I am a sub part H CFI who trains sport pilot through commercial.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Although any Part 61 Subpart H CFI who is ASEL rated can legally train candidates for the SP Airplane certificate, I should point out that many CFIs do not know the SP rules or requirements. (This is, sadly, also true of many DPEs and FAA Inspectors - SP is still the best kept secret in aviation.) As the potential employer, it falls to you to interview the CFI to make sure he or she will meet your needs
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MartyTaylor1264

He is a CFI And what I know about flying you can fit in a thimble and still get a finger in it. My Question is , If he does not have a plane that meets sport pilot spec. Like a C150 can I train in that for all my schooling.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Yes, you can do some of your training in an aircraft that is not an LSA. But, if you are working specifically for a Sport Pilot license, you must do all your solo flight, your checkride, and the required two hours of dual in preparation for the checkride, in an LSA. Furthermore, you can't solo in an LSA unless your dual in preparation for solo, and your pre-sold written test, are in and about an LSA.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:Yes, you can do some of your training in an aircraft that is not an LSA. But, if you are working specifically for a Sport Pilot license, you must do all your solo flight, your checkride, and the required two hours of dual in preparation for the checkride, in an LSA. Furthermore, you can't solo in an LSA unless your dual in preparation for solo, and your pre-sold written test, are in and about an LSA.
I'm going out on a limb and say that I disagree with Paul, from a regulatory point of view. It is possible to do all of your solo and checkride in a single seat LSA, while having done all of your flight training in a non LSA. For example you could do your flight training in a EAB Carbon Cub, with a gross weight higher than the LSA minimum, and do your solo and checkride in a single seat LSA Carbon Cub.

However that being said it is not likely that you find a situation like that in real life, and Paul's description is pretty much how things will go.
MartyTaylor1264

Thank You. I think I am going to find a close to home CFI that has a lsa to train in and complete the hole process. Sounds like this may simplify things for me.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

If getting a medical is a possibility you could always get a recreational pilot certificate. The training is very similar, but you can learn in a larger more readily available airplane.
MartyTaylor1264

no I want to stay in the LSA. I will in the end try owning a ELSA to keep my cost down.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

MartyTaylor1264 wrote:no I want to stay in the LSA. I will in the end try owning a ELSA to keep my cost down.
I was just throwing it out there as an option. Recreational pilot is even lesser known than sport pilot by instructors and trainees. It certainly has its advantages. You can train in a Cessna 150 or similar. More readily available for training. Often you can complete the training in less actual flight time compare to flying one of the more modern LSA aircraft. That means lower training cost. You wind up with basically the same privileges, and in the end you can still own your own and fly your own ELSA.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I agree with Tom. The only reason one might need to avoid the Rec Pilot route is in the event of medical history that would require a Special Issuance medical, but would not preclude safety of flight. In that case, the SP is the safest way to go.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MartyTaylor1264

That is the situation I find my self in. I fear I may not pass a flight medical test for the G.A. so sport pilot is the direction I wish to go.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Marty, that demonstrates great wisdom. Unless you are 100% sure that you will pass the FAA 3rd Class Medical exam, you shouldn't try. Failing it will deny you Sport Pilot privileges. But in addition, if you have a disqualifying condition, or any question about your medical status, you need to self-assess before each flight. Unless you are 100% sure your health issues will not compromise safety of flight, you must ground yourself.

(Note that this applies to all pilots, with or without FAA medical certificates, not just Sport Pilots.)
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MartyTaylor1264

You are correct. I would ground myself if it was a bad day. I am a 100% disabled veteran and I am a type two diabetic. I have my health under control. I just feel it would be better to go sport pilot. From what I have read once you are denied a medical you can no longer go sport pilot ether . This is the main deciding factor for the sport pilot decision. I do not plan on flying other people with me. The pilot Lic. is the last thing on my Bucket list. I joined a EAA. chapter in Prescott Az. KPRC a long time ago when sport pilot was first coming out. I tried then but the only planes that fell under the LSA were ultralights. I am not going up in those.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Salute to a fellow veteran, Marty, and glad you have your health under control. :D
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US