My owners manual says never to stall the plane

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Ecoloqua

My owners manual says never to stall the plane

Post by Ecoloqua »

I was studying the owners manual for the plane I am training in and it says not to intentially stall the plane. The plane does not have a stall warning indicator. Here is the some of the exact verbage from the manual:

Stalls (especially with power on), spins and all maneuvers with zero or
negative g-load must be avoided under all circumstances, In practice this means that flying into stalls on purpose must be avoided and
recovery procedures have to be performed immediately!

I know that stalls are part of trianing and also my checkride. How the heck can do these in light of this info and are they still safe to perform?
Wm.Ince

Re: My owners manual says never to stall the plane

Post by Wm.Ince »

Ecoloqua wrote:. . . "Here is the some of the exact verbage from the manual:
Stalls (especially with power on), spins and all maneuvers with zero or negative g-load must be avoided under all circumstances, In practice this means that flying into stalls on purpose must be avoided and recovery procedures have to be performed immediately!
I know that stalls are part of training and also my checkride. How the heck can do these in light of this info and are they still safe to perform?
The operative word in the above is "practice."
I opine that "practice," in this context, means in actual application (as in normal use). It is not in the context of training.

That withstanding, I would definitely get clarification from the manufacturer before going forward on this.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Zero or negative G-load seems to imply no free-falls, as recovery could overstress the airframe. OK. 2 years ago, while training, the CFI had me hold the attitude until the plane experienced a clean break and drop, then apply recovery. After the PTS went out and the ACS came in, the language changed. Now it seems recovery is to be effected prior to the actual loss of lift, or just before the actual break. What fun is that?
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

What is the plane?
dave
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

HAPPYDAN wrote:Zero or negative G-load seems to imply no free-falls, as recovery could overstress the airframe. OK. 2 years ago, while training, the CFI had me hold the attitude until the plane experienced a clean break and drop, then apply recovery. After the PTS went out and the ACS came in, the language changed. Now it seems recovery is to be effected prior to the actual loss of lift, or just before the actual break. What fun is that?
My guess is the zero or negative G's has more to do with the Rotax engine than anything else.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

dstclair wrote:What is the plane?
In an other thread he mentioned he was flying a FK lightplanes model FK-9.
Ecoloqua

Post by Ecoloqua »

Yes its an fk-9. The manaul does say one of the dangers of zero G is fire due to the carbs. on the Rotax. So am I to understand that now in training we are not really required to do a full stall but initiate a recovery just before the break?
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Ecoloqua wrote:Yes its an fk-9. The manaul does say one of the dangers of zero G is fire due to the carbs. on the Rotax. So am I to understand that now in training we are not really required to do a full stall but initiate a recovery just before the break?
IIRC the Rotax factory guidance is not to exceed 0.5g negative. I don't think there is any engine issue with zero g, unless the installation in the FK9 is unusual. I'm assuming the issue would be fuel forced out of the carb vent tubes, and if the tubes just dangle over the engine that could be a problem. In the CT they are routed into the air box and any spilled fuel would end up there, away from the engine.

The prohibition on stalls just seems...odd.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA