Plane leaking fuel and frustrated

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Ecoloqua

Plane leaking fuel and frustrated

Post by Ecoloqua »

Last edited by Ecoloqua on Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joey4420

Re: Plane leaking fuel and frustrated

Post by joey4420 »

That sucks, have you considered buying your own LSA? I know I am considering it as I fly the skycatcher for training and really would prefer something with a larger useful load.
Joey
Cincinnati OH
Sport Pilot
Double Eagle N35DE
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

A +1 on buy your own. I did and I don't regret it. If the economics work it's certainly worth a consideration.
Ecoloqua

Post by Ecoloqua »

I will probably end-up buying my own eventually. LSA has been around for a while now and there are some good 10yr+ old planes coming up for sale at reasonable prices. My plan was to get my license and see how often I would fly to see if it would be worth it vs upkeep, hanger fees etc. I read about one guy who bought a "cheaper" trainer and used that while training. As soon as he completed his check ride he sold it. In doing it this way he only paid for the instructor fees and insurance which greatly deffered the cost of his training. The then went out bought the plane that he really wanted.
joey4420

Post by joey4420 »

Like anything in this world, if you get a great deal on the buy you may break even or make a profit on the sell with little or no cost out of pocket.

My plan is a wee different, I am hoping to buy something on the cheap so I can afford to keep it long enough that when I sell it; it doesn't equal the cost of a house :shock:
Joey
Cincinnati OH
Sport Pilot
Double Eagle N35DE
sandpiper

Post by sandpiper »

I have owned 9 or 10 planes since 1974. Unless you are buying for business purposes, don't try to "justify" it. You will usually be disappointed. I did luck out with a C-206 I bought in 1983 for $37K and sold run out in 2002 for $117K.

There are probably many owners during those years that had similar experiences but those days are over. The bottom dropped out shortly thereafter.

So, if you think you will enjoy all that goes with ownership, such as not having to worry about who flew it last and what they may have done to it, and if you can afford it, just do it. You will have good experiences and bad. Hopefully mostly good. No more scheduling worries. No more wondering about who didn't clean the bugs off, etc. But, be prepared to worry about the cost of the next annual and what the cost of fixing that prop ding will be. You will understand how to better take care of your baby and that there is a direct connection between your actions and your wallet.

Good luck.
John Horn
Independence Airpark (7S5), OR
CFII, LSRM-A
Rotax Service, Maint, and Heavy Maint. trained
Flying a CTSW, building an RV-12
RTK

Post by RTK »

Agreed with Sandpiper. If you can swing buying your own LSA, you may be happier doing so.

Partnerships are a challenge, especially if you're like me and like to keep your things in shiny, ready to use condition. While not everyone will share your enthusiasm for keeping the plane tidy, maintained and ready to fly, but they certainly will enjoy using the plane that you left clean for them.

And Sindpiper is spot on about scheduling. Sometimes the plane isn't there when you expected (or scheduled it) to be. Many reasons for it not being there, such as weather delays returning to field, or just inconsiderate partners. I've wasted weekends not flying because the plane wasn't there when planned.

Then there's the "other" pilots. Your partners may allow other pilots to fly the aircraft and they don't schedule. This requires a strong understanding between partners on what's allowed, but as is the way many people are, some disregard the agreed upon rules.

In the end, having your own plane may be more spendy initially, but the peace of mind knowing the plane is ready when you are is worth it.