My First Sim Flight

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

HAPPYDAN

My First Sim Flight

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Still watching the weather, here. I got an invitation to try out a new simulator at the Museum of Flight (fright?). They just got 12 new ones for their ongoing student education program, and my wife (the STEM teacher) is an education advisor. Having never touched a sim, and heard the many comments regarding same, I was eager to oblige. Well, it was bad. It was absolutely NOTHING like flying a real plane. I was so disappointed. The devices were very nice, complete with all necessary controls one might find in just about any small single engine plane. It was programmed for the Cirrus SR22. Taxi, roll-out, tower calls and take-off were spot on, including "more right rudder". That's where everything then proceeded south. Not being able to see the "ground" on climb-out, I became totally disoriented. I tried using just instruments, but soon found myself "chasing" the numbers and over-correcting, to the extent that I left in full throttle and busted my reference altitude by 2,000 feet. By the time I received the tower warning, I was way off my flight plan heading. Still couldn't see the ground or horizon. Finally got everything under control, began a nice descent, turned to the correct heading, and got on speed. I actually spotted the destination airport, but time was up and the screen announced that my flight was unacceptable, to reset and try again. It was probably good that I didn't have to land. I can only imagine how bad that would have been!
Warmi

Re: My First Sim Flight

Post by Warmi »

For about $100 you can get TrackIr which approximates quite well being in a 3d cockpit ( as you turn your head , the screen view follows )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-UGASAXWV4

For me the most obvious missing part within consumer grade Flight Sims is lack of actual G-forces - it is still useful for certain things but generally it doesn't feel much like flying.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
HAPPYDAN

Re: My First Sim Flight

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Don't mean to break any hearts here, but as an "old guy" I was well past my youth when CGI and computer games became vogue. My initial impression of the flight simulator is thus: You learn to play the game, not learn to fly the plane. Many others contend sims are useful for experienced pilots, but don't work out so well for new students.