Practice Tests

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

foresterpoole

Practice Tests

Post by foresterpoole »

OK, I'm just about ready to take the FAA written test. I've got an endorsement from my ground school CFI and took a few online practice tests and I'm making 90's. My experience has been take 10pts off and that will most likely be my score (drone test I took and passed and CFI says that is normal). My question is how good are these online practice tests and how indicative of the actual test are they? I'm specifically referring to King School's,www.light-sport-aircraft.org, and the FAA example test? My CFI says I'm ready, I'd like to ace it!
Ed
pjdavis

Re: Practice Tests

Post by pjdavis »

I found that Gleim was very good. I only remember a few questions on the test that were not familiar.

PJ
hirschr

Post by hirschr »

I used exams4pilots.org
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

You're ready. Just relax, get some good sleep, lay off the booze the night prior. While taking the test, you have plenty of time, so read each question and all responses carefully. Double-check computations, figures and sectionals references. Good luck!
914Driver

Post by 914Driver »

I bought a program from Dauntless that worked well, great explanations and visuals. When I took my test there were 5 or 10 extra questions as the FAA was getting a feeler for what people learned. I think correct answers counted, wrong ones didn't.

Dan
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

I used the Sporty's practice app and it was fine. The actual exam wasn't the same questions, but it was the same type of questions. If you understand the stuff well enough to score 90+ on the practice tests (and I mean understand it; not just having memorized the practice questions) you should do fine.

Don't rush - you'll have 5x as much time as you need. Read each question carefully, and if you have trouble with a question skip it and come back to it. You may see something in a subsequent question that jogs your memory.

You can take in an electronic E6B (or a manual one, for that matter), but I didn't use mine. There's an on-line E6B that's part of the test software and it was perfectly satisfactory.

Good luck!
1/2
----------------
I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
RTK

Post by RTK »

All good advice given. I've used both Gleim and Exams4Pilots and found that I was about 10 points off when I passed my exam. The questions on the exam will be slightly different, but you get an excellent flavor for the exam from any of these practice exams. You WILL run into some questions you've never seen before (maybe 1 - 3 questions... purely a guess). These are test questions that the FAA has thrown in. But if you're scoring 90's, you should have no problems passing.

Good luck!
designrs

Post by designrs »

If you're scoring 90's you are ready. You should easily pass in the 80's. 70's if you are unlucky. 90's if you are lucky. I think the FAA likes a trick question or two In retaliation for those that "study the questions" for the test. :D it also seems that the FAA is striving to make questions that are a little different from those that are publishished previously.

I did Gliem for test prep for three different FAA tests. My actual scores were always consistent with the pre-tests.

Recheck everything, especially figures and calculations.
Good luck!!
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

In the past several years the FAA has changed the way they are asking questions on the test. They want to make sure you know the material, and not just the answers to questions written in a book. They have switched to scenario based questions, which can be somewhat confusing the way they are written. They change the wording in questions and answers, along with the order of answers. The key is know the material and take your time reading the questions and answers.

A little history. Before the change there were cases of people going in to take the private pilot exam, and completing the exam in a couple minutes and scoring 100%, just by memorizing the questions and answers. When they changed the first test, which happened to be the CFI test, failure rate went up dramatically the first week.
MackAttack

Post by MackAttack »

You will do fine using any of those resources. When I sat down and took a practice test literally cold after a 30+ year hiatus flying and watching only a couple hours of online videos, I got an 85. And most of what I missed was those questions about interpreting VOR displays ... I only got one other question wrong. Find a study approach and practice exams that work for you - assuming you're diligent, it should not pose a huge hurdle. I hear that the IFR written is MUCH more challenging than the PPL or SPL written exams.

Good luck and keep us posted!
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

So, took the written earlier today. Let me say that Sporty's and the practice exams were pretty much right on the money/subject matter. I actually was expecting much harder navigation problems and performance calculations, almost no weather questions which I really studied for. Scored a 93, the three I missed were dumb and I knew the answers, just misread the question or the answer, I kicked my own butt when I read the questions I missed. Now for 3 hours of checkride prep and a check ride!!!
Ed
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

foresterpoole wrote:So, took the written earlier today. Let me say that Sporty's and the practice exams were pretty much right on the money/subject matter. I actually was expecting much harder navigation problems and performance calculations, almost no weather questions which I really studied for. Scored a 93, the three I missed were dumb and I knew the answers, just misread the question or the answer, I kicked my own butt when I read the questions I missed. Now for 3 hours of checkride prep and a check ride!!!
I thought you were doing sport pilot?
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

I am.....
Ed
joey4420

Post by joey4420 »

Been using Sporty's training material as well. Scheduled to take my written test on Friday. Been averaging 90+ on the Practice (sport Pilot) pretests.
Joey
Cincinnati OH
Sport Pilot
Double Eagle N35DE
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

foresterpoole wrote:I am.....
You can do 3 hours prep for the checkride, but you are only required to do 2.