First Solo!

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

pjdavis

First Solo!

Post by pjdavis »

Hi Group,

This morning at 8:30 am I did my 1st solo! Flying out of KLNS (Lancaster, PA). I feel great! Been at this since June - 1/2 way through I switched from PPL to SP. I fly a Bristell NG5.

PJ
914Driver

Re: First Solo!

Post by 914Driver »

Unusual sensation without that safety net isn't it?

Congratulations!
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Congrats!
pjdavis

Post by pjdavis »

Yes! It came as a complete surprise. We did 3 touch and go's. Al then told me go to the ramp and he hopped out of the plane. Yikes....A little nervous...Had he told me it was time to solo while we were still in the hanger.....I would have asked for a few magazines and some privacy! LOL
Last edited by pjdavis on Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Congratulations! Now you can say that the PILOT on that flight...was YOU!

Don't worry about being nervous...every instructor sending off a first solo is probably more nervous than the student!
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

Congratulations!
Ed
pjdavis

Post by pjdavis »

To Ed,

Maybe a few steps closer to a Lighting!
saxdiva

Post by saxdiva »

Congratulations! And the lighter the airplane, the more skill required to fly it safely, so feel free to give yourself a HUGE pat on the back for your accomplishment. You're officially a pilot now. 8)
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

I'll dig this up because I did not see your post earlier PJ (My bad I had not checked this thread in some time), but yes, that's awesome!!! Looks like there is an advertisement for the new ones and two E-LSA's and maybe one S-LSA in Orlando for sale. One looks to have had a damage history of a gear collapse and a prop strike, and a runway excursion at another time, but was repaired by Arion and overhauled Jabriu. The link lists Nick as the sales contact so I'm assuming they might own it.
Ed
pjdavis

Post by pjdavis »

I saw that ad the other day. It sounds like they own it now. The $100,000.00 complete for a new plane sounds like it is not a one time deal. I read something (I think on their website) that indicates it is the new price. They are indicating they are going to be at Sebring. I am going to be in Florida during that time So I booked a room near the airport will be attending for 1 1/2 days. I will find out more as I have not actually seen an Arion Light up close.

PJ
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

[youtube][/youtube]Let me know how it goes. I talked with Nick on the phone a few weeks back about the temperature tolerances on that resin. It gets pretty hot and humid here in Louisiana and at the time I was worried I could have issues finding hanger space immediately. Turns out I found a very affordable community hanger at the Class D airport, but I'll need my sign off for that. I also located two nice (on paper) Cessna 162's in Little Rock and at Van Bortel in Texas, both lower hours. I'm itching to sit in a Lightning to compare...
Ed
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

I am kind of looking at Arion as well but ultimately will have to try it out cause I keep hearing that it is incompatible with low time pilot students like me :-)
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
pjdavis

Post by pjdavis »

Hi Ed,

Arion was not there. But I did accomplish my mission. I got my med done at the show!
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

Awesome! Now there is very little standing between you and a Private. That would mean the Lightning XS if you are so inclined. I really need to get my medical, but all I need now is a solo X-country (general weather is OK, but the wind won't settle below 8-10 kts with gusts up to 20 lately) and a check ride for my sport and I might stick with just that for a while to let the dust settle and my wife settle as well before I announce I'm going to spend a bunch more on training.
Ed
pjdavis

Post by pjdavis »

Hi Ed,

My plan is about the same as yours. Complete sport, fly and tackle my PPL. As I did not start this endeavour until a few months before age 60 - I already have a lot of hours in. So they are saying maybe another 10 -15 hours for PPL.

PJ