"Fly it into the ground"

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

foresterpoole

"Fly it into the ground"

Post by foresterpoole »

So I've got a few more hours in with my CFI, I'm flying a Tecnam P92 Echo Super for reference. I seem to be doing OK with slow flight, standard turns, traffic pattern maneuvers and I got to fly in some good Cross winds (5-14kts) today as well (that was a little bumpy). Sooo, here is a new problem for me that maybe some other have experience with and can give their input: I'm flairing way too high according to the instructor. My first few hours were in a 172, which flairs totally different in my very limited time. So he said just fly it into the ground, are all LSA's like this? I mean on final it feels like I'm fighting to get it to loose altitude even with full flaps and the throttle at idle. The sight picture looks downright scary sometimes.... Is this normal???
Ed
rcpilot

Re: "Fly it into the ground"

Post by rcpilot »

I know exactly how you feel. I'm scheduled for my check ride but the other day I was doing some fine tuning practice with my instructor and he claimed I was doing the same thing, flairing too soon. He says just let the nose drop, if you're too low give it some power. I have a Zenith 601 ELSA. I just look straight ahead. Yesterday I was doing some solo practice, followed his advise and my landings were much smoother. Just letting the nose drop sounds good but at the same time, people live around my home base and they're received complaints about lowing flying planes so I have to balance not pissing off the neighbors and landing.
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

When you find the secret formula, please share it. In the Skycatcher, my best landings were based on a low, slow short final approach. Full flaps, 50 kts and no more than 300 fps descent rate. Come in too fast or too high and it will bounce or float. Pull the nose up just a little too high, it stalls and drops hard, nose first. It is WAY different than a 172, maybe due to the light weight and wing loading. The saving grace is, with good short field technique, it slows and stops quickly.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Watch this, and see if it helps:

https://youtu.be/Rv5HEJCyTuk
- Bruce
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

Thanks for the video Bruce, I never even thought of looking at it that way. I think the advice everyone has given is definitely going to help. My best approaches and subsequent landings have been 3-5 mile long finals where I've got plenty of time to line up, drop flaps and reduce speed, make the radio call, etc. My CFI, with good reason, stresses traffic pattern landings every hour I'm putting in 5-7 landing/takeoff closed traffic patterns. Just can't seem to stick the flair yet...
Ed
pjdavis

Post by pjdavis »

Hi Foresterpoole,

I am with you....5 weeks ago I switched from PPL to sport. I was having a hell of a time with my landings. So going from a 172 to a low wing sport was an adjustment. I too am having the issues with the flair. The 1st time I worked on landings with my new CFI was an eye opener. The plane has a glass cockpit - he completely dimmed the screens and had me do 5 low passes on a 7100 ft runway 10 ft off the ground. It was the best exercise for me. Was it smooth no! But what a confidence builder. We usually do a 3 mile approach I have learned more to feel the plane and engine sound etc. But like you it is the flair! Getting there! Anyway I also found the video helpful....
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

Just as a little update to this , I think I've got a decent hang of it now. Flying it to the ground is really what you need to do. I've managed to put it down smoothly the last 10X and the CFI seems content even pleasantly surprised at the smooth landings. One of the biggest helps was flying at an airport without a working glide slope indicator. I know that sounds crazy, but it helped me visualize what a "good approach" looked like without relying on lights. It was also a very short runway, compared to the old B-17 5600-5900 foot runways I normally use. At this point he is totally hands off a few verbal tweaks here and there, but he's started listening to music and texting while I fly. Looking good so maybe solo in my near future is what he is indicating!?!?
Ed
pjdavis

Post by pjdavis »

Good job "lightning Man" I am very close to the solo myself!

PJ