Size Limitations

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

JimC

Size Limitations

Post by JimC »

That is cool.
What are the current size restrictions and pilot requirements for remote controlled non-commercial flying devices flown for research purposes?
drseti

Re: Size Limitations

Post by drseti »

First off, small UAS is defined as .55 to 55 pounds, and must be registered. Non-commercial is not the operative term. FAA requires a Remote Pilot Certificate for anything *other than* recreational/hobby (model aircraft) flight. In other words, R&D requires a certificate, even if no compensation is involved.

There are two paths to certification, and the rules (14 CFR Part 107) are complicated. Tune in to my free EAA webinar at 8 EDT tomorrow (Wednesday) night (register at EAA.org/webinars) - it will cover much of the requirements and procedures. OR, enroll in one of my upcoming 3-day Remote Pilot couses - I have them scheduled monthly.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
JimC

Re: Size Limitations

Post by JimC »

Thanks. I had in mind a 4.8 meter span and 44 pound weight. Just R, no D involved. Unfortunately, command authority in all three axes is created so differently in an articulated tension battened membrane wing that I'm not sure a conventional training course would help in learning to fly it -- except of course, for the regs. Last time I did one of these was about 12-14 years ago. That one was only a 3 meter span and about 11 pounds, so much smaller. We generally launched it from an RC mother ship at about 800' AGL. Sounds like that won't happen anymore :-(
Appreciate the info.