Looking for a sport pilot school in MD, Southern, PA

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

pjdavis

Looking for a sport pilot school in MD, Southern, PA

Post by pjdavis »

Hi Group!

A few weeks ago I introduced myself as a new member. P.J. Davis - Freeland Maryland. I am 20 miles south of York, PA. I am 1/2 way through my PPL - 23 hours flight time. When I enrolled I set up my 3rd class Medical. Before i went I learned that an SSRI I was on was on the approval list - but the hurdles were great. I went to my prescribing doc and he agreed that I did not need to be on it any longer. So I am scheduled to see him on 9/13 - the 60 days period period - I have no doubt he will sign off. My med AMeE appointment is 9/22. However, I have a mild case of C.O.P.D. - smoking - in the last 2 years my results have improved! But now that is a problem. So it makes sense to cancel the appointment and stop working toward my PPL and go sport. The school I flew with now is sport qualified but does not have an LSA to fly. There is a Chesapeake Sport Pilot (have been scheduled previous to this issu)e to do an intro in the RV-12 next Tuesday. The problem is they are quite a distance. So I can't seem to find a school close by to has sport. So I am asking the group if they know of any.

P.S. I am not on any meds nor use an inhaler for the C.O.P.D.

Thanks!

PJ
drseti

Re: Looking for a sport pilot school in MD, Southern, PA

Post by drseti »

Head East from York on Route 30; Lancaster isn't a bad commute, and you can get trained in a Bristell at Liberty Sport. Or, come North to Lock Haven and fly with me (I've had several students from York do that).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
pjdavis

Post by pjdavis »

Hi Gang,

So here is the update - today I flew an RV 12 at Chesapeake Sport Pilot. I was impressed how easy the plane was to fly. I did not take off or land as there was a pretty strong crosswind out of the north on runway 29 and I never fly a stick before! Really neat plane. On thursday I am going to Liberty Aviation in Lancaster to fly in the Bristell. From there I will make my decision of which school to fly with. Next friday I am meeting with my Pulmonologist and then send my records to AOPA to see if it is.....In between I am flying my regular lesson at Carroll County Airport - 172s.

PJ
pjdavis

Post by pjdavis »

Today I flew the Bristell at Liberty Sport Aviation. What a great plane - based on the plan I will continue my training there!