EAA Sport Pilot Academy

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

HAPPYDAN

EAA Sport Pilot Academy

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Here's a long-overdue but welcome idea:

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-com ... ot-academy

A full class just started, and right now plans are to hold another in the spring. For those with the ambition, bucks and time it sounds like a good program, 3 weeks long. They are starting a waiting list which is filling fast.
hirschr

Re: EAA Sport Pilot Academy

Post by hirschr »

Neat idea, but $10K seems a bit pricey for a Sport Pilot Ticket.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

hirschr wrote:Neat idea, but $10K seems a bit pricey for a Sport Pilot Ticket.
It does, but I suppose for a professional whose time has great value, it could be a wise choice.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

"You'll have group and one-on-one instruction, flight training, lodging, food, and camaraderie."

Considering it includes food and lodging I don't think it is that bad.
TenSeven

Post by TenSeven »

You can definitely get a Sport Pilots License for allot cheaper, however, I think it would be difficult to match the total 'experience' of getting it on EAA's home grounds.

This is gonna read like a sales pitch, I don't work for the EAA, but this could be a great opportunity for anyone looking to get they're Sport ticket.

My experience when asking around at local flight training facilities is that the mere mention of Sport Pilot gets you an odd look, at best. It's no secret that Sport Pilot is EAA's baby and you'd be hard pressed to find an organization more enthusiastic and dedicated to cultivating and nurturing its growth in any way they can. Because of its location and the resources EAA has available, you can bet they're Academy will be much more than just flight lessons.

I've been lucky enough to have gone to EAA's AirVenture several times over the years and every time I've returned there it was like coming home. There's no other place I can think of that welcomes Aviation enthusiasts more (If you haven't experienced it yet you've got to put it on your bucket list). It should be a fantastic place and environment to learn to fly in.

It's allot of money but it would take nearly half of that just to get the License. From what I've read, you get your own room (with shower), all meals paid for, fly at least twice a day, all materials and unlimited access to EAA learning resources, guest speakers, one on one and group training. I think eating, sleeping and breathing flight training wthin a group of like minded folks all working towards the same goal could be great.

Anyhoo, this is the inaugural Academy so we'll see how it all actually plays out.

Anyone know of a student or EAA Blog going on about the Academy? I'd like to follow along.

Mike
TenSeven

Post by TenSeven »

HAPPYDAN wrote:Here's a long-overdue but welcome idea:

A full class just started, and right now plans are to hold another in the spring. For those with the ambition, bucks and time it sounds like a good program, 3 weeks long. They are starting a waiting list which is filling fast.
Hi Dan, I've been gathering info on the Academy but I haven't read anything about a Spring Academy or a waiting list that is filling fast (both would be great news, :) ). Can you point me to where you got that info? Thanks

Also, I talked to a really nice fellow at EAA about the Academy. He didn't have much info other than to say since it's the inaugural Academy it would be a 'see how it goes' type of thing before that make any decisions for the future but they're intention is to have more Academy's. I asked to put me on a list if there is one.
TenSeven

Post by TenSeven »

Heard back from my EAA source, sounds like the Academy is going well, no confirmation of future Academy's or a list to get on, yet :)
Last edited by TenSeven on Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Mike - Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I was gone for the weekend. Here's a copy of the email I got back from Kevin:

Kevin Loppnow <[email protected]>
To
[email protected]
Aug 30 at 7:17 AM

Hi Daniel!

Thank you for your interest in EAA’s Sport Pilot Academy! You seem to be well on your way with your Sport Pilot certificate already! Congratulations on that! We unfortunately do not have dates set for upcoming classes in 2017. We have a lot of interest so there will definitely be future classes. We have your contact info and will be happy to let you know when those dates are selected!

The next classes won’t be until Spring of 2017 so it’s quite a ways away. As far as you are, it may be less frustrating to just finish up with a local flight school. However, our 3 week program would definitely finish you up! Plus you would be getting the certificate in Oshkosh! We have other fun extra activities that you will be involved in with the academy that makes it even more of a rememberable experience! So it would not be a waste to wait until the next class comes out. I added the link to EAA’s Sport Pilot website where you can learn more about the program. If you have any other questions though, feel free to email us and we’ll be happy to answer them for you!

Have a great day, and we’ll talk to you later!

Kevin Loppnow, EAA #801828
Aircraft Operations Manager/Chief Pilot
EAA—The Spirit of Aviation
TenSeven

Post by TenSeven »

Thank you Daniel, I appreciate it.

That's a very positive email, really happy to see that. Maybe we'll 'both' be in that Spring Academy :)
rdebord

Post by rdebord »

I checked into the EAA sport pilot academy when they announced they were going to have it. Unfortunately they said they can not take students who weigh 200 or more lbs.
TenSeven

Post by TenSeven »

rdebord wrote:I checked into the EAA sport pilot academy when they announced they were going to have it. Unfortunately they said they can not take students who weigh 200 or more lbs.
Interesting. Is that because of the Skycatchers they're using?
TenSeven

Post by TenSeven »

eyeflygps wrote:It's because of the 1320 max gross weight. If they are using SkyCatchers, that leaves 290 for instructor and fuel.
Ahh, forgot about the 1320lbs, makes sense, thanks.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

eyeflygps wrote:It's because of the 1320 max gross weight. If they are using SkyCatchers, that leaves 290 for instructor and fuel.
I know you will say it is just me being argumentative, but it is not because of the 1320 max gross weight. It is because of the high empty weight and low useful load. Cessna knew the rules when they started designing the airplane, and made several choices along the way that led to the high empty weight. To blame it on the 1320 pound limit that was in place when the designed the airplane is just ridiculous. There are plenty of LSA with the 1320 max gross weight that can easily carry student, instructor and fuel.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

My Sky Arrow weighed about 860 lbs empty from the factory.

That weight certainly creates limitations on pilot and passenger weight, but not crippling ones unless the pilots are pretty heavy.

My cheat sheet:

1) I also keep my plane with 1/2 tanks most of the time, in case a heavier pilot shows up and wants a ride.

2) My empty weight went down a hair when I went to a lithium iron battery, offset a bit by installation of a fire extinguisher.

3) The plane is pretty solidly built, which counts for something.

4) All things being equal, I would love for it to carry more fuel (new ones do) and be lighter (new ones aren't).
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

TenSeven wrote:
Ahh, forgot about the 1320lbs, makes sense, thanks.
At 170# and 5'10", that flysmasher is a perfect fit for me. Because of the weight issue, we always flew with 1/2 tank, @6 gals/hr gives about 1 hour planned flight time to be safe. I have searched for other opportunities to finish up, but most are in different planes. I would really like to stick with that plane rather than start over learning a whole different system.