EAA Sport Pilot Academy

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

rcpilot

Re: EAA Sport Pilot Academy

Post by rcpilot »

eyeflygps wrote:It's because of the 1320 max gross weight. If they are using SkyCatchers, that leaves 290 for instructor and fuel (with 200 pound student).
The Skycatcher's useful load or lack there of, is what lead me to buy a Zenith 601 to take my lessons in. At the time I went to sign up I was 260# and it would have required a substantial weight loss to fit enough fuel and an instructor(even they're smallest one). With the Zenith, even at 250 I had no problems with full tanks and an instructor.
Helen

Post by Helen »

We are happy to do concentrated training at Chesapeake Sport Pilot. We use Tecnam Eaglets and RV-12s and can accommodate students up to 250lbs. For those of you eligible for a medical, we also offer the recreational pilot certificate using the same planes and same syllabus at the same cost as our sport pilots use but recreational pilots can rent or buy a GA plane once they graduate opening many more opportunities.

Our seasonal weather window begins to close in October so please call today if you would like to train with us this year.
410-604-1717
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Helen Woods
Chesapeake Sport Pilot
Quality Flight Training, Rentals, and Service
Factory Authorized RV-12 Training and Service Center
http://www.chesapeakesportpilot.com
TenSeven

Post by TenSeven »

Dan, post if you hear any updates from your source. I'll keep bugging mine too.

Mike
TenSeven

Post by TenSeven »

Looks like the first Academy is in the books and plans are in the works for 2017.

http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-news-and- ... 0ifQ%3D%3D
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

:D :D :D :D :D
WOW! Thanks for the update. Those guys look just like me and have the same story! NOW I feel like maybe, just maybe, I've stumbled on to something that will work. But, if this falls through, too.... well, I've already promised the wife no more expensive time-consuming hobbies. I'll just resign myself to becoming one of the 60%-80% that start down this road and never finish.
TenSeven

Post by TenSeven »

I like that they threw in the B-17 ride for everyone, that's keeping things interesting! Your not going to find that (and many other EAA only experiences I'm sure) at your local average flight school.

I think 'well I started and never finished' is so common. Personally I've always wanted to go back back and finish what I started but the thought of trudging through the same 'ol flight instruction experience again just turned me off. This looks to be something different, a really unique experience of going thru the steps of getting your ticket.

The first of almost anything is a learning experience for both student 'and' instructor/faculty. Naturally there will be things that could be done better or more efficiently and things that may be added as successive Academy's continue. Sounds like they already have an effective program in that all the students successfully earned they're License by the end of the three week coarse.
TenSeven

Post by TenSeven »

Great article about the Academy in the November issue of EAA's Sport Aviation magazine. Looks like it exceeded all they're expectations and multiple Academy's of 12 students each are being planned for 2017.
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

TenSeven wrote:Great article about the Academy in the November issue of EAA's Sport Aviation magazine. Looks like it exceeded all they're expectations and multiple Academy's of 12 students each are being planned for 2017.
Thanks again, but I'm not an EAA member. Is that pub available online?
TenSeven

Post by TenSeven »

Dan, check your PM.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Just yesterday I had a fellow hand me some cards and fliers because they have some lots on a airpark for sale in NW Iowa.
TenSeven

Post by TenSeven »

3Dreaming wrote:Just yesterday I had a fellow hand me some cards and fliers because they have some lots on a airpark for sale in NW Iowa.
Hmmm, interesting.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

TenSeven wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:Just yesterday I had a fellow hand me some cards and fliers because they have some lots on a airpark for sale in NW Iowa.
Hmmm, interesting.
I guess I posted in the wrong thread. I intended to post in the Cool...Now What thread.