Question about Puerto Rican trainings

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Denis.gan

Question about Puerto Rican trainings

Post by Denis.gan »

Hi guys!

I need the opinions of somebody who have the knowledge and skill of flights in Puerto Rico. I should finish my flying education (I need 3 hours solo and check ride). Before this moment I had the practice in SoCal. I haven't any problem with control of airplane, but English radio conversation is very stressful for me. I am non-native speaker and I am not sure in my ability of fast understanding. Under my idea, I think that intensity of radio conversation in Puerto Rico will be less and it'll be simpler for my adaptation. I am right or not?

Thanks for your answers!))
Denis.gan

Re: Question about Puerto Rican trainings

Post by Denis.gan »

eyeflygps wrote:
Denis.gan wrote:Hi guys!

I need the opinions of somebody who have the knowledge and skill of flights in Puerto Rico. I should finish my flying education (I need 3 hours solo and check ride). Before this moment I had the practice in SoCal. I haven't any problem with control of airplane, but English radio conversation is very stressful for me. I am non-native speaker and I am not sure in my ability of fast understanding. Under my idea, I think that intensity of radio conversation in Puerto Rico will be less and it'll be simpler for my adaptation. I am right or not?

Thanks for your answers!))
In the US, as long as you don't fly in Class A, B, C, or D, you don't have to talk with anyone. Why don't you just do that and listen until your understanding improves.
When you study any language you can read, write and listen the academic exercises, but if you don't have enough speaking practice with the native speakers, you will be have the problem with understanding. I live in Russia and I can't have the speaking practice enough, unfortunately.

Aviation phraseology is quite simple, but not every one ATC follow it. Sometimes, when I don't understand at the moment the ATC instructions during inbound to class Delta, for example, or during flight following - it's the really nervous for me.
Denis.gan

Post by Denis.gan »

eyeflygps wrote:Yes, I understand. I'm not sure why flying in Puerto Rico would help that. I assume they will speak English with a Spanish accent. How would that help? I'm sure Southern California is quite busy. Maybe you should finish up and take your check ride in a more sparsely populated area in the US.
At least we both will speak with accent: he with Spanish, I with Russian)))

It's a joke. Actually, I mean the traffic intense. I think you are absolutely right about more sparsely populated area.
Denis.gan

Post by Denis.gan »

eyeflygps wrote:Maybe you should go to Nobile, IL and finish up with my friend 3Dreaming.
I'll be grateful for the contacts. Especially, I haven't been in IL state yet.
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

You could also try listening to http://liveatc.net.
This site streams air traffic control conversations from all over the world, from major international airports to the smallest class D towers.

It might help your comprehension.

Ron
Denis.gan

Post by Denis.gan »

rsteele wrote:You could also try listening to http://liveatc.net.
This site streams air traffic control conversations from all over the world, from major international airports to the smallest class D towers.

It might help your comprehension.

Ron
Thank you! I use it already.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I would be happy to help if I can. However I am not set up yet to train non US citizens.
What kind of airplane have you been training in up to this point?
Denis.gan

Post by Denis.gan »

3Dreaming wrote:I would be happy to help if I can. However I am not set up yet to train non US citizens.
What kind of airplane have you been training in up to this point?
I flew on the Sling 2 in Torrance, CA.