Comme ci comme ca....

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Half Fast

Comme ci comme ca....

Post by Half Fast »

Got to fly again today. Was only able to book two sessions this weekend, both today. Only having two flights last weekend (one Friday and one Sat) due to mechanical issues, and then a full week off, made me waaaaaay too rusty this morning.

Basically I sucked this morning. Did the take-off okay, but I was hopeless on ground ref maneuvers. Trying to do turns about a point, my circles were ovals and I couldn't hold altitude worth beans. Finally we broke off, climbed, and just did a few level, climbing, and descending turns to help me get the feel back.

This afternoon's flight was much much better. Did the takeoff again, then back to the practice area for more gnd ref work. This time the turns around a point were more controlled and I finally go to where I was doing them inside PTS again. Then we looked around for a long E-W road to do S turns, since the wind was from the south. The first couple of attempts were a bit shoddy, but with some good coaching from my CFI I finally started getting it dialed in. My last three runs were within PTS, and on the last run I held altitude within 20', so I'm getting there. I'm starting to feel a bit better about this.

We had some thunderstorms working their way toward us from the SW, so we turned to head back to the Apopka airport. With the wind still predominately from the south, we used RW 15, which is right pattern. I got us into the pattern, then made my first landing with my instructor assisting and nudging a little bit as needed. I started my flare too high, resulting in a "Not yet" from the CFI, then settled it down okay.

If anyone has any sure-fire tips for judging altitude and when to start the flare, I could sure use them!

So overall a decent day, and I'm up to 10.5 hours now. Laying off for a week seems to make me very rusty, but it's going to be that way. Oh well. I have three sessions scheduled for next weekend, then hope to do four the following weekend.

Still making progress, even though aviation seems to have its ups and downs....
1/2
----------------
I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
CharlieTango

Re: Comme ci comme ca....

Post by CharlieTango »

My CTSW runs out of energy really fast so my round out is best very close to the ground. I suspect this is true to at least a lesser extent in most LSA.

It will be natural to want to round out too high until you get experience because you certainly can't begin by rounding out too low. This is similar to your approach speed will too fast not too slow until you get some practice.

A mental picture like getting within a wing span of the ground might help, I like to picture myself flying into an open hangar door.

If you can trim for your approach speed so that speed is maintained with trim alone and you can approach round out with a centered stick you can have confidence that you have adequate athority to round out at what seems like the last moment. Igood to focus on nose-wheel clearance first and achieving a landing attitude last. If I rush my final nose up attitude it can cause me to balloon. This happens if you are a little bit fast and you will be at least for a while.
designrs

Post by designrs »

When I first started landing I told my instructor, "I don't know where the ground is!"
It was hard for me to judge height.

Get a good mental picture of what the plane looks like sitting on the runway.
Before takeoff is a good time.

Ask your instructor about doing a few low passes.
Something like....
20 feet at 60 knots.
10 feet at 60 knots
5 feet at 50 knots

You will be trying NOT to land the airplane...
and soon enough you will land... along with developing your sight picture.

Hope this helps!
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

designrs wrote:Get a good mental picture of what the plane looks like sitting on the runway.
Before takeoff is a good time.

Ask your instructor about doing a few low passes.
Something like....
20 feet at 60 knots.
10 feet at 60 knots
5 feet at 50 knots

You will be trying NOT to land the airplane...
and soon enough you will land... along with developing your sight picture.

Hope this helps!
You sound like a CFI! 8)
Aviation Real Estate Broker
langj

Post by langj »

Doing low passes is exactly how I get comfortable with landing on any new plane I fly. The advice above is excellent.