Takin' it as it comes....

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Half Fast

Takin' it as it comes....

Post by Half Fast »

Aircraft problems have limited my flying the last couple of days. A leaking fuel tank breather tube knocked out yesterday morning's flight, though I did get up in the afternoon. Did my first takeoff, then practiced ground ref maneuvers. Pretty sucky, didn't feel right; just having a rough day.

Flew this morning and did the takeoff again. The plan was to do some slow-speed work, but we were getting clouds at 2500' so we couldn't get high enough to do slow flight safely. Went back low to do more work on ground ref stuff. Much much better today. Finally doing decently on turns around a point, but S turns over a road will need a little more practice.

The afternoon flight for today was scrubbed due to a loose bearing on the nose wheel. Should be good to go tomorrow. Plan is to get a morning session and an afternoon session. Lesson plan will be determined when we see what the weather is like tomorrow.
Last edited by Half Fast on Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1/2
----------------
I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
FastEddieB

Re: Takin' it as it comes....

Post by FastEddieB »

Patience, Grasshopper.
Half Fast wrote:Finally doing decently on turns around a point, but S turns over a road will need a little more practice.
It may help to view the S turns as just a series of something you're decent at - 1/2 of a turn about a point, roll out over the road, then another 1/2 turn about a point in the opposite direction, and so on...

Relax, you'll get it.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

Fret not; I'm in no rush. Slow steady practice and I'll get there.

The problem I'm having with S turns is judging the latter part of the turn so that I cross the road orthoganal to it with wings level. I'm rolling out of the turn too soon most of the time. I'm doing better maintaining altitude, but still plenty of room for improvement.
1/2
----------------
I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

Weather and technical issues are frustrating. But you're still making progress. Even doing S turns poorly gives you something to work on and improve.

Congrats!
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

Oh yeah - forgot to mention my headset. As I wrote a few days ago, I ordered one of the ASA headsets and I used it for the first time yesterday. Works well! With the cloth covers on the earpieces, it's reasonably comfortable, and the sound is just fine. Noise reduction isn't as good as an ANR set, of course, but it's helpful for me to hear the engine a bit anyway. Voices are clear and intelligible.

I might get the gel ear cups eventually, but at the moment I don't think they're necessary.

For the price I'm quite satisfied, especially given the lifetime warranty.
1/2
----------------
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Cancellations due to unscheduled maintenance can be frustrating, but the alternative could be an unsafe aircraft. It just proves that somebody really cares about what they are doing.
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

HAPPYDAN wrote:Cancellations due to unscheduled maintenance can be frustrating, but the alternative could be an unsafe aircraft. It just proves that somebody really cares about what they are doing.

Maybe.

The plane was down three times this weekend for three separate squawks - 1) a leaking fuel tank breather, 2) non-functioning brakes (due to a leak at the left wheel cylinder), and 3) a front wheel bearing. Numbers two and three were found by yours truly during pre-flight, and number one was found when a student and instructor noticed fuel leaking out of the wing after a flight.

No arguments from the school when the problems were pointed out, and I'd certainly prefer that a broken aircraft be in the shop while I sit in my recliner at home, rather than the plane be in the air while I sit in the pilot's seat. But they need to get on top of their own inspections and preventive maintenance.

I think they're going to correct the situation. My flights today were cancelled as the aircraft is going to be down for a few days while they go through it completely. I hate losing another day of flying, but I want the plane to be 100% when we go up next time.

I'm not scheduled to fly again until next Sunday. Hope they have it all sorted out by then.
1/2
----------------