Moved to Philadelphia: Sport Pilot Training options?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

designrs

Re: Moved to Philadelphia: Sport Pilot Training options?

Post by designrs »

AJChenMPH wrote:Timely question overall, though...I have a friend who is physically disabled (has her driver's license, needs hand controls) who wants to learn to fly, but there's no Sky Arrow around for training. Is it possible to fit hand controls into Art's plane for her to learn?
What about Philly Sport Pilot? I believe they have the SkyArrow with hand controls. The owner / founder was at the Sebring Expo this year.
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
AJChenMPH

Post by AJChenMPH »

3Dreaming wrote:I know there were hand controls developed for the Flight Design CT.
I'd forgotten about that...just came across that again today, too. Thanks.
designrs wrote:What about Philly Sport Pilot? I believe they have the SkyArrow with hand controls. The owner / founder was at the Sebring Expo this year.
Their website keeps saying they're no longer in the Philly area...I've emailed them in the past, no response.
Andy / PP-ASEL
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

AJChenMPH wrote:OP: welcome to the Philly area! I think I asked in the past and don't remember your answer: any particular reason you're solely going for the sport pilot license vs. your private? Not questioning your decision, but I'm just making sure you're not limiting yourself when it comes to options. I just did a checkout ride in the Grumman Tigers over at Legacy at PNE (they used to be Hortman Aviation), so that's something relatively close by...but no LSAs or sport pilot training that I'm aware of.

Timely question overall, though...I have a friend who is physically disabled (has her driver's license, needs hand controls) who wants to learn to fly, but there's no Sky Arrow around for training. Is it possible to fit hand controls into Art's plane for her to learn?
Thanks for the welcome AJ! The reason why I am going for the sport pilot license is primarily because of medical issues. I'd rather not say more than that. Also I think the sport pilot license is cheaper and easier to get than a PPL. Thanks to JoeM I found out more places in the area that offer sport pilot training other than AB Flight and Liberty Sport Aviation but they are still quite a drive for me.

Right now, I am still getting used to my airport operations job at PHL and still need some more time before I could dive back into flight training. Interesting things always go on at PHL!
designrs

Post by designrs »

AJChenMPH wrote:Their website keeps saying they're no longer in the Philly area...I've emailed them in the past, no response.
Check with the Hansen Group, importers of the Sky Arrow. They should be able to put you in touch and/or point you in the right direction.
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
AJChenMPH

Post by AJChenMPH »

N918KT wrote:Thanks for the welcome AJ! The reason why I am going for the sport pilot license is primarily because of medical issues. I'd rather not say more than that. Also I think the sport pilot license is cheaper and easier to get than a PPL. Thanks to JoeM I found out more places in the area that offer sport pilot training other than AB Flight and Liberty Sport Aviation but they are still quite a drive for me.

Right now, I am still getting used to my airport operations job at PHL and still need some more time before I could dive back into flight training. Interesting things always go on at PHL!
Ahhh, ok re: medical issues. Fair enough.

I generally fly out of PHL when I have to fly part 121, I'll let you know next time I'm going through. Also, look for the officer-in-charge of the CDC quarantine station there at PHL -- tell Jennifer I said hello. :)
designrs wrote:Check with the Hansen Group, importers of the Sky Arrow. They should be able to put you in touch and/or point you in the right direction.
Will do, thanks Rich.
Andy / PP-ASEL
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Hey everyone. I am looking at the possibility of going back to flight training for sport pilot although right now I am undecided. Trying to see if I have the money and could dedicate my time to flight training. I checked out New Garden Flight Connection yesterday in Southern PA. The school was okay but I am unsure about attending this school despite being the closest drive from my Philly apartment. I spoke with the owner of the school online and also with a staff lady over the phone a couple days before I visited the school. I met with a CFI, he showed me the Pipistrel Alpha Trainer. The doors on the LSA open upward and the pilot door cannot hold up since I think a certain part or hinge was broken that keeps the door holding up, so I have to hold the door open to climb in which was a bit difficult. The copilot door opens up ok. I asked the CFI if they are going to fix the door and he said not anytime soon because its expensive to fix it and its not a top priority for the school right now. I also met with a former student of his who owns an Ercoupe - he is also a sport pilot and I asked him some questions about getting the license and how to fund my training. I talked with the CFI about training and how often should I fly regularly.

Overall, the school is okay but I am unsure about whether to flight train with them. I don't know if the CFI is familiar with the sport pilot rules. Plus, the fact that the school is not going to repair the pilot side door anytime soon to keep the door holding up makes me question if they are really dedicated to maintaining the LSA.

I have yet to check out a couple other flight schools which offer sport pilot in Maryland that Joe mentioned to me. But to be honest I would rather go back up with AB Flight since Art knows me. The problem is that the drive is very far at least an hour and 15 minutes without the Philly rush hour traffic and I am unsure whether I could dedicate enough time to fly often since the flight lesson with the drive to and from the airport takes up an entire day. So just wondering but if your only option available is that you have to drive to a sport pilot flight school that is far, both distance and time wise, what do you do? Were you able to fly regularly like once or twice a week? Or did u do an accelerated sport pilot flight training including staying in a hotel for a couple weeks to get your license completed?

Sorry for the long post but any advice or suggestions on this would be great!
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I drive an hour to the airport to fly and an hour home afterward. As I have said before, I enjoy the drive as a time to decompress and "relive" the flight in my mind before returning to the real world.

Have you been able to have your medical issues reviewed by your doctor and make sure you are in good shape to fly safely? That's where I would start.
Retired from flying.