Written Test Question

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Re: Written Test Question

Post by drseti »

I agree with Tom - don't make it any harder than it has to be.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
rdebord

Post by rdebord »

I took my written test this morning and this question was not on it. There were several other questions that were worded just as poorly in my opinion. About 1/3 of the questions I had not seen in the ASA or Gleim test prep material. The proctor that administered the test told me he thought they changed the test a few days ago and a lot of the questions are new. Anyway I am happy to have the test behind me. Now I have the student license and the written done I need to figure out where to train. I live near Louisville Kentucky and the closest place is Sportys Academy in Cincinnati. It is 2 hours drive each way. That is to far to drive for each lesson. I think I will take some vacation time and go somewhere for 1 to 2 weeks at a time.
rdebord

Post by rdebord »

Thanks for posting the link. I called the number and he tried to talk me into going to Indianapolis for a private pilot license. He said there is nobody in this area doing sport pilot training.
drseti

Post by drseti »

In other words, their website lies?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
rdebord

Post by rdebord »

drseti wrote:In other words, their website lies?
It was not even a flight school. I could here a room full of people in the background trying to sell training packages over the phone. I asked where they train at and he said "we train everywhere", give me your zip code and I will see what we have in your area.
drseti

Post by drseti »

That kind of middleman gives flight schools a bad name, and probably harms the whole flight training industry.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

Come to think of it, it did seem a little strange that their web site didn't list prices or show specific aircraft. I got caught up in a similar scam several years ago. A broker sold intro lessons, and then contracted them out to flight schools near the customer's location. I gave several flights, mailed the coupons in as instructed, and then the company and it's website disappeared without paying me.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
rdebord

Post by rdebord »

drseti wrote:Come to think of it, it did seem a little strange that their web site didn't list prices or show specific aircraft. I got caught up in a similar scam several years ago. A broker sold intro lessons, and then contracted them out to flight schools near the customer's location. I gave several flights, mailed the coupons in as instructed, and then the company and it's website disappeared without paying me.
Sorry to hear that. I guess every industry has their crooks. I would be nervous about paying all training costs up front like some schools ask for accelerated training for that reason. If it was a school that has been around a very long time and has a great reputation maybe.
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

I ran across an interesting article by Rod Machado regarding the new ACS and Knowledge Test for Private Pilot.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0519/ ... mittee.pdf

It seems he is not much in favor of either. If I understand his concerns correctly, it may be much more difficult and take considerably longer to obtain a PPL, without producing any real improvement in piloting skills. And where will this leave flying schools and instructors? Years ago, I heard a joke from an Army pilot, who said the FAA had found a sure-fire way to reduce general aviation accidents - just reduce the number of pilots! On a more serious note, I wonder how these changes will affect the SPL testing process?