Positive exchange of controls

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

FastEddieB

Positive exchange of controls

Post by FastEddieB »

In general, and in my opinion, one pilot should be flying the plane at any given time.

IOW, if a student is landing the plane, I'm fine with the instructor "covering" the controls - he or she must be ready to take control in a heartbeat. But if he or she is actually on the controls, I think it gets in the way of learning - the student may not be sure what he's doing, what the instructor is doing, and what is normal control feedback.

I don't want to put anyone at odds with their instructor - again, he or she is the boss and has reasons for how they instruct. I've just always thought it was considered bad form for two pilots to be on the controls at the same time - and the FAA is pretty big on "positive exchange of controls" for that very reason.

The Aviation Instructor's Handbook is a little more permissive about following on the controls than I recall, at least when a maneuver is first introduced.

Here's the relevant part:

Background

Incident/accident statistics indicate a need to place additional emphasis on the exchange of control of an aircraft by pilots. Numerous accidents have occurred due to a lack of communication or misunderstanding regarding who had actual control of the aircraft, particularly between students and flight instructors. Establishing the following procedure during initial training will ensure the formation of a habit pattern that should stay with students throughout their flying careers.

Procedure

During flight training, there must always be a clear understanding between students and flight instructors about who has control of the aircraft. The preflight briefing should include procedures for the exchange of flight controls. A positive three-step process in the exchange of flight controls between pilots is a proven procedure and one that is strongly recommended. When an instructor is teaching a maneuver to a student, the instructor normally demonstrates the maneuver first, then has the student follow along on the controls during a demonstration and, finally, the student performs the maneuver with the instructor following along on the controls.

Positive Exchange of Flight Controls

1. When the flight instructor wishes the student to take control of the aircraft, the instructor says to the student,
“You have the flight controls.”

2. The student acknowledges immediately by saying,
“I have the flight controls.”

3. The flight instructor again says,
“You have the flight controls.”

During this procedure, a visual check is recommended to see that the other person actually has the flight controls. When returning the controls to the instructor, the student should follow the same procedure the instructor used when giving control to the student. The student should stay on the controls and keep flying the aircraft until the instructor says, “I have the flight controls.” There should never be any doubt about who is flying the aircraft.

Flight instructors should always guard the controls and be prepared to take control of the aircraft. When necessary, the instructor should take the controls and calmly announce, “I have the flight controls.” If an instructor allows a student to remain on the controls, the instructor may not have full and effective control of the aircraft. Anxious students can be incredibly strong and usually exhibit reactions inappropriate to the situation. If a recovery is necessary, there is absolutely nothing to be gained by having the student on the controls and having to fight for control of the aircraft. Students should never be allowed to exceed the flight instructor’s limits. Flight instructors should not exceed their own ability to perceive a problem, decide upon a course of action, and physically react within their ability to fly the aircraft.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
MrMorden

Re: Positive exchange of controls

Post by MrMorden »

What brought up this topic?
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

MrMorden wrote:What brought up this topic?
Cluemeister's account of his training seemed to indicate his instructor was "on the controls" quite a bit.

I posted about how I didn't like that, but after a couple days figured that was the wrong place to pontificate on that. But figured it was still worth bringing up.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

FastEddieB wrote: But if he or she is actually on the controls, I think it gets in the way of learning.[/i]
I agree to some point, but in my opinion I think it depends on what is being taught. There are times when you need to teach a student about control positioning and sight picture simultaneously. The only way to do this is to be on the controls with the student.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

FastEddieB wrote:
MrMorden wrote:What brought up this topic?
Cluemeister's account of his training seemed to indicate his instructor was "on the controls" quite a bit.

I posted about how I didn't like that, but after a couple days figured that was the wrong place to pontificate on that. But figured it was still worth bringing up.

Ah!
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

3Dreaming wrote: I agree to some point, but in my opinion I think it depends on what is being taught. There are times when you need to teach a student about control positioning and sight picture simultaneously. The only way to do this is to be on the controls with the student.
Granted.

Like when teaching a snap roll, I'd want the student to follow on the controls to emphasize the direction and amount of stick and rudder movement. But after the demonstration, I would not want to be on the controls as he did his first on his own, or in subsequent practice.

I just got the impression that both instructor and student were both on the controls through repeated crosswind landings. That's what I was not real thrilled with.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
designrs

Post by designrs »

I once had a young CFI, nice guy, but probably not a lot of experience, and maybe he wasn't too comfortable with students. He used to do this thing with students where he'd be on the controls "helping" and would say something like, "I'm doing that" when he added control input.

At that point I was a solo student. I said to him, "Look, only one of us is flying the plane. Either I fly it, or you take control of the whole plane if i screw up that badly, and later tell me what I did wrong. OK?"

ANOTHER THING to be leery of: Pilot Passengers, especially more experienced ones.
A friend of mine (good pilot) once had a passenger pilot grab the controls, uninvited on final, saying "No, do it like this!" My friend has an experimental aircraft, and to this day he removes the passenger stick unless he invites the passenger to fly, or knows them well.

This is especially important for LightSport as the plane handles much differently than most traditionally certified aircraft. So your multi-thousand-hour pilot passenger might not be familiar to safely to handle a LSA without transition training.

I tell my pilot passengers, "I am pilot in command at all times, unless I die, or I specifically give you the controls. This plane handles very differently, especially close to the ground. Whatever happens, you're stuck with me, OK. LOL"

Of course at the same time my preflight and briefing strives to instill confidence. LOL

Can't be too careful!
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

designrs wrote: ANOTHER THING to be leery of: Pilot Passengers, especially more experienced ones.

Should I remove the right stick before I invite you to fly with me? :D
designrs

Post by designrs »

Cluemeister wrote:Should I remove the right stick before I invite you to fly with me? :D
Only if you don't want to do aerobatics! :lol:
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
designrs

Post by designrs »

Seriously though, say you recently got your license and a nice LSA of your own... which I'm sure I will want to check out! I'm your passenger, that's it, unless you ask or permit me to fly. Some pilots get really uncomfortable being a passenger. So you got to watch them. LOL

My first non-CFI passenger was an instrument-rated pilot friend of mine. I had flown right-seat with him a few times in a Cessna. That day he didn't feel well. (NOT because of my flying!) and I really wasn't watching him for physical signs because "he's a pilot". Turns out he had a week stomach and was accustomed to heavier aircraft.

Now he loves the LSA aircraft and can't get enough of it.
The last flight we did together I let him circle over the Miami coast at twilight. He still talks about it!
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

After two incidents where I thought my student was flying from the front seat, and he thought I was flying from the back seat, and nobody was actually flying, I can vouch for the importance of positive exchange of controls... especially in tandem-seat aircraft!
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Somewhere in this topic is an Abbott and Costello sketch titled "Who's on the Controls" just dying to get out.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

MrMorden wrote:Somewhere in this topic is an Abbott and Costello sketch titled "Who's on the Controls" just dying to get out.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
RTC'83

Post by RTC'83 »

FastEddieB wrote:
MrMorden wrote:Somewhere in this topic is an Abbott and Costello sketch titled "Who's on the Controls" just dying to get out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sShMA85pv8M
RTC’83
Sport Pilot