A question for CFIs

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

MikeP

A question for CFIs

Post by MikeP »

Does the FAA require VOR proficiency for a PP or SP? If not, do you, as CFIs, devote any time teaching this, as almost everything is GPS navigation now.
Thanks
Mike
Cluemeister

Re: A question for CFIs

Post by Cluemeister »

I know you asked CFI's, and I'm not one. However, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night....

When I first started ground school it was for PP, and VOR's were a definite part of the study guide. When I switched to studying for SP, the VOR stuff was no longer there, and no VOR questions were on the SP written test.
MikeP

Post by MikeP »

Well, a night at the Holiday Inn should qualify you for about anything up to and including brain surgery :D .

Ok. Thanks. That is kinda the direction my thoughts were heading.
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

I'm not a CFI, but I can answer your question. I passed my PP checkride without a VOR in my airplane. The PP practical test standards require knowledge of radio navigation, of which GPS is acceptable. That said, I did have to demonstrate the ability to intercept and fly a VOR "radial" with my GPS, something that you can figure out or have your instructor help you with.

And yes, there are VOR questions on the PP knowledge test and no, there aren't any on the SP knowledge test (I've taken them both).
PP-ASEL, Flight Design CTSW owner.
MikeP

Post by MikeP »

The reason I'm asking this is........ I'm an Amercan living in Ontario, but all my family is in Louisiana and Texas. My US passport would get me into a flight school and being of good health, I'm pretty sure I could pass a medical. But SP is all I'm interested in. The problem presented is that the SP certification is good only within the confines of the country that issues it. I could get the Recreational Pilot certificate here, but it would not be recognized down there. I have access to a plane down there and being there for long stretches, makes me want to be able to fly there. I have flown many years ago, but life got in the way, so I do need to be retrained. So that leads me back to PP certificate. The flight schools here are few, far, and expensive. I know of a school in north Louisiana that goes from SP to Commercial with its emphasis on crop dusting. Their structure is XX amount $$ for each certificate. They have accommodations on site for cheap housing and can do it as fast or as slow as you want. I'm sure they built in a cushion for a student that takes longer, but that's okay.
I figure I can get the PP, let the medical lapse and still hold a valid SP or RC (in Canada) and be able to fly legally.
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

By all means, go for PP. I did after farting around with SP and I've not regretted it for a minute. And to elaborate on your original question, you don't need to demonstrate VOR skills on your PP checkride if your aircraft doesn't have a VOR, however if your checkride aircraft is equipped with a functioning VOR, it's fair game for the examiner to have you demonstrate it's use.
PP-ASEL, Flight Design CTSW owner.
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

Which leads me to a question. Is the Rec Pilot certificate valid in Canada?
MikeP

Post by MikeP »

The US Rec Pilot license may be valid up here, because it has the medical to go with it. If I have to go beyond SP, I may as well go for PP, as it is transferable here with a new Canadian medical and a check ride with Transport Canada. A SP cannot cross border fly because they want to see the medical clearance.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

MikeP wrote:The US Rec Pilot license may be valid up here, because it has the medical to go with it. If I have to go beyond SP, I may as well go for PP, as it is transferable here with a new Canadian medical and a check ride with Transport Canada. A SP cannot cross border fly because they want to see the medical clearance.
Once PP qualifications change to allow PPs to fly on a driver's license medical, Canada might change their tune on that to avoid locking a lot of US pilots out of Canada and losing revenue.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
MikeP

Post by MikeP »

MrMorden wrote:
MikeP wrote:The US Rec Pilot license may be valid up here, because it has the medical to go with it. If I have to go beyond SP, I may as well go for PP, as it is transferable here with a new Canadian medical and a check ride with Transport Canada. A SP cannot cross border fly because they want to see the medical clearance.
Once PP qualifications change to allow PPs to fly on a driver's license medical, Canada might change their tune on that to avoid locking a lot of US pilots out of Canada and losing revenue.
I hope so. But one thing is clear with them. They don't want to appear walking in lockstep with the FAA. So if that happens, there may be a two or three year lag time. Just for appearances.
Last edited by MikeP on Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

MikeP wrote: I hope so. But one thing is clear with them. They don't want to appear walking in lockstep with the FAA. So if that happens, there may be a two or three year lad time. Just for appearances.
"We're not just the 51st state...REALLY!!!" :lol:
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
MikeP

Post by MikeP »

Shhhhh. I gotta live here. 8) :D