My week of flight training - Review of events

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Flocker

Re: My week of flight training - Review of events

Post by Flocker »

Cluemeister wrote:A few more touch and goes, and one full stop so I can adjust my seat.
You'll have to show me that trick... 8)
Aviation Real Estate Broker
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

Flocker wrote:
Cluemeister wrote:A few more touch and goes, and one full stop so I can adjust my seat.
You'll have to show me that trick... 8)
You know the Skycatcher has that foot spinner to adjust the seat. During preflight I set it where I thought it was comfortable, but then during flight I felt like my knees were way up high and I couldn't extend properly for rudder work.

So technically I adjusted the pedals, not my seat. :)
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

eyeflygps wrote: I do both sides in case something were to happen and I needed to jump over to the other side to fly.

Quite a feat with a passenger on board. Could you post video of that trick? :)
1/2
----------------
I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Half Fast wrote:
eyeflygps wrote: I do both sides in case something were to happen and I needed to jump over to the other side to fly.

Quite a feat with a passenger on board. Could you post video of that trick? :)
Do it with the right passenger at or above 5,280' and you could possibly kill two birds with one stone!

As an aside, my Sky Arrow also has the simplicity of fixed seats with adjustable rudder pedals in the front. The rear pedals seem to fit a pretty wide range of leg lengths and are fixed.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

FastEddieB wrote:Do it with the right passenger at or above 5,280' and you could possibly kill two birds with one stone!
Good one. LOL
Aviation Real Estate Broker
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

FastEddieB wrote: Do it with the right passenger at or above 5,280' and you could possibly kill two birds with one stone!

And make an even more interesting video.....
1/2
----------------
I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

Booked Skycatcher. CFI is swamped with other students right now, so it's going to be just me for the next week or so.

Called wx brief, all good. 10 miles visibility, light winds, and no TFRs. I decided I would do the short 20nm flight from 2A0 to KRZR. Got all preflighted, and then I noticed a layer of clouds at about 500 ft. Crap!

Waited an hour, and they finally burned off. I decided to do one pattern and landing, and then depart to Cleveland. Pattern was uneventful, and landing solid. Took off again, and headed south. Climbed to 3,000, and followed the Garmin on the Skycatcher to Cleveland. Changed radio frequencies (written on the kneeboard), checked weather, entered downwind, and came in for landing.

This is the old airport I used to train at, and the guy on the Unicom says that he recognizes my voice. It's Nick, a guy who worked for the previous FBO, and now works for the new FBO. First time I've been recognized by Unicom. :)

Took off from Cleveland, came into 2A0, and entered pattern. Uneventful landing. No bounces today, and the slow flight visualization continues to work well for me.

New hour totals:

29.9 w/instructor
8.8 solo
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I don't recall you mentioning it, but have you done any simulated instrument flight?
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

3Dreaming wrote:I don't recall you mentioning it, but have you done any simulated instrument flight?
We have not done any simulated instrument flight. I'm not sure that's part of the Sport Pilot Training.

Or if it is, they haven't told me!
drseti

Post by drseti »

Cluemeister wrote:We have not done any simulated instrument flight. I'm not sure that's part of the Sport Pilot Training.

Or if it is, they haven't told me!
If you are flying an LSA with a Vh > 83 Kts (100 MPH), then before you can fly solo XC you are required to have received and logged training on flight solely by reference to instruments. You also need a logbook endorsement to this effect. Doesn't specify any particular number of hours, or maneuvers. I generally teach the student how to stabilize airspeed, heading, and altitude under the hood, and then how to execute a shallow 180 degree turn holding airspeed and altitude constant, so the student will be able to fly back out of a cloud if he or she inadvertently stumbles into one.

If your CFI doesn't know this, he or she needs to come up to speed on the Sport Pilot rules (61.3xx).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

I will check with my CFI.
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

Paul, I've sent an email to the CFI, but I can't seem to find the specific regulation. Can you tell me where to find it?

Thanks!
drseti

Post by drseti »

FAR 61.93 (e) (12)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

The reason I ask is what Paul explained. It is a student pilot requirement not a sport pilot requirement. As you are training you are a student pilot, and must fly under student pilot rules. Unless you dig into the regulations, and any good instructor should, you might miss something important like this.

In addition to the instrument training you should also have done short and soft field take offs and landings.

BTW, there could be implications beyond just doing the training at this point.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

eyeflygps wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:
BTW, there could be implications beyond just doing the training at this point.
I was wondering about that myself. One way to perhaps mitigate that is to get the required instrument training, then do all the required solo cross-country again.
I agree.

It is not the students fault, but he is the one who will need to complete the requirements.
I know of a case around here where a private pilot applicant was sent home. He had to redo all of his solo cross country flights because something wasn't right. His instructors also got a talking to by the FAA.

There are all kinds off things that can trip you up if you are not careful. Like improper sign offs, and expired endorsements.