My week of flight training - Review of events

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Cluemeister

Re: My week of flight training - Review of events

Post by Cluemeister »

So second and last day of training in Florida while on vacation. I got to the airport, preflighted, and talked with the instructor.

Taxied out to the runway. Have to taxi from a concrete pad across grass onto pavement, across a culvert, and onto the taxi way. Real estate is at a premium here, so it was tight. But the taxiing job was much, much better. I don't like castering nose wheel, but I'm getting used to it.

Today I decided I wanted to fly down the coast and enjoy it one more time. Today it's runway 16. He says before takeoff "there's a bump in the runway, I don't want you to be surprised, just stay steady on the controls. We roll, and I'm ready for the longer takeoff, as it's 92 degrees. We hit the bump, and it knocks us up a little, but steady forward. We take off, left pattern, back over mid point of runway and out to the coast.

The rest of the family's idea of fun on vacation is hanging out at the beach. I told my family I would be flying down the coast, so if they see the mighty Skycatcher overhead, make sure they wave. We head down the coast around 2 pm, and descend to about 1,200 ft. There they are, waving up at the plane. Cool! We loop around and head back up the coast. Most of you know how beautiful this is, but for me this week was a first flying low, soaking in the gorgeous sand and water views.

We head back, and now the winds have shifted, so after taking off on 16, we are going to land on 34. This is right hand pattern. We enter from the north, and then come in at a diagonal. Pretty bumpy. I tell my instructor I would like to land, but I'll let him know on base for sure.

Abeam the numbers i pull throttle and carb heat, drop flaps, and drop the nose. We turn to base, and I'm doing much better than Tuesday. This airport is surrounded by homes and trees, so you have to come in a little steeper than normal. I pull second flaps on base. I don't say anything to the instructor, and decide I am landing. I turn to final, and pull third flaps. Crosswind from the left, but not terrible. We come down and I flare. Little too high. I gently bring it down to flare at the proper height. We float, and then the stall horn is squawking. A little rudder to keep us pointed straight. The left wheel touches down, and then the right. Instructor says "Great job!" and I smile as we roll and then turn off the runway.

I was happy with the last two lessons because I got to land an aircraft at a busy GA airport with tougher than normal landing conditions. I got to fly along the beautiful Florida coast. My family got to see me fly, and this helped with some of their nervousness about my new endeavor. :)
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

Great PIREP! Did your family snap any pics?
Aviation Real Estate Broker
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

Flocker wrote:Great PIREP! Did your family snap any pics?
That's a great idea, too bad they didn't think of it!
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

Back in Tennessee for training. Packed a lot in the lesson today!

Started cross country training. Reviewed maps, pilotage, dead reckoning. Turned on foreflight on the iPad mini. Set heading on the Garmin. Took off from Cleveland TN, and headed to Mark Anton in Dayton, TN. Flew at 4500 (east to west). Bumpy on climb out, but smoothed out at 3000.

Contacted Mark Anton, and they advised us there was a truck on the runway. That's a new one! Turned out doing some maintenance of some kind, and drove off the runway prior to our arrival. Landed without event, taxied, and took off. Headed to Collegedale, just under Chattanooga's class C airspace. Kept it below 2,600 to stay out of KCHA. Collegedale is a little exciting, as it sits in a valley, with gusty winds swirling around. And the runway falls away depending which way you land. Instructor says "This is not going to be an easy landing." We come in, and we're being tossed about a bit. I line up, determined to stay steady, and come in and land nicely. Woo hoo!

Taxi back and take off. He says "be ready when you get up a little, the winds will come into play." I hold steady, we bump around and off we go. Back to the north we go.

Head to the practice area, and work on power off stalls, power on stalls, and steep turns. A little rusty on steep turns, but just need more practice.

During this trip, we talk about short field and soft field landings and take off. We head back to the airport, and he demonstrates both. Soft field felt like popping wheelies on my 20" Schwinn when I was 10 years old :) I did soft and short take off and landings. Not as hard as learning to land from scratch, but still need practice.

Another lesson this coming Saturday, and if it goes well, I'll be signed off for xc solo.
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Good job.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

And the march continues . . . press on! :D
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

We're reliving the dream vicariously.

Keep it up!

Maybe stop by Copperhill one flight for a lunch break if it fits into your instructor's plans.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

I would love to do that Eddie. I'll let you know if we find time.

I saw you landed in my neck of the woods at Big T. I think you need to move from Georgia to East Tennessee!
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

FastEddieB wrote:We're reliving the dream vicariously.
+1
Aviation Real Estate Broker
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

Cluemeister wrote: I think you need to move from Georgia to East Tennessee!

I had the pleasure of visiting Eddie's home a few weeks ago. I think the move you're suggesting would be a distance of about 200 yards, most of it vertical.....

:)
1/2
----------------
I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

Today was supposed to be another xc lesson, but the CFI had to shuffle his schedule around, and so I soloed a little this morning.

Got there in the AM before work. Preflighted, and headed out. Did my first pattern and landing, pretty decent for a student.

As I head up for the second time, coming downwind, I hear a helicopter pilot come on the radio. I was announcing each phase, i.e. turning crosswind, turning downwind, turning base, turning final, clear of the runway. As I turned base, the helicopter said he was going to come under me on his way out. About 5 seconds later I saw him come off my left wing and off he went. Not too close to me, so no issue at all, but it was fun to look down on a flying helicopter.

Landing uneventful again. My favorite kind!

On the third pattern trip, I noticed a pickup on the runway. I didn't hear anything on the Unicom, so I kept my eyes open. The truck moved into the run up area, and another new for me, I landed a plane while a pickup truck appeared to be waiting to take off :)

After landing and taxiing back, The truck turned down the runway again, and it became obvious why he was out there. A deer appeared on the side of the runway, and the driver was trying to keep him off the runway. As I was heading back to takeoff, I kept my eyes open, because when you see one deer, there's usually more! I stopped in the run up area to check things again, and the deer creeped back on the runway! I waited a minute as he crossed the runway, he then kept going and crossed the taxiway behind me. I made sure he kept going, and then I announced takeoff.

I lined up, and stared at both sides of the runway on high deer alert. I pushed throttle and kept looking all around. Thankfully, takeoff was uneventful!

Didn't have a whole bunch of time, but was able to get four takeoffs and landings in. Full stop and taxi back to allow time to think and analyze my landings.

Happy with the day!
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

I'm jealous. No flying for a week while I'm on vacation. Have fun for me. :)
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

rcpilot, any chance you can find a flight school near you and sneak in a few lessons?
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Cluemeister wrote:rcpilot, any chance you can find a flight school near you and sneak in a few lessons?
Besides my wife killing me, having only flown my E-LSA, I think too much time would be spent getting use to another plane, although it is an enticing idea. 8)
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

Went up solo this AM. Beautiful weather, winds fairly tame. Flew to the practice area by myself, which is 8 miles from the airport. This is the first time I've flown away from the airport, as I'm not solo xc endorsed yet. Flying at 3500 feet, away from the airport, even though for only a few miles, was awesome.

Got to the area, and practiced 30 and 45 degree turns. Did well except broke 100 ft of altitude at end of my first right 45 degree turn. Grrrr! Did them again, and kept it within ± 100 feet. Ok, good start to the day!

Flew back to the airport, and landed on 21, as winds were calm. I think a slight tailwind came in at the end, because the landing was ok, but didn't feel normal. Oh well, taxied, departed the runway and switched to weather on the radio. Wind 04 at 3 knots. Ok, so I'll take off on 3 this time.

Take off, stay in pattern, and land. Not best landing ever, but not bad. But I'm just not feeling it today the same as yesterday. I am coming in a little fast, so I need to regroup. Takeoff on 3 again, and come around. Flared too high, and did a single bounce. Ok, not great, but I've had single small bounces before. Just hold it after the bounce and let it gently come back for a landing. Came back down again, and this time bounced again. I did not like that at all, and gave full power and accelerated off the runway. Not happy with my landing, but happy I went right into the go around, and recovered nicely.

That was my first two bounce landing, so I was a little frustrated still thinking about it as I entered downwind. Looked to my left, plane in the run up area. Abeam the numbers, took a deep breath,and pulled carb heat and pulled throttle to 1700. Pulled first flaps, dropped nose, held for 70 knots . Turned base, a little high, pulled second flaps. Turned final, lined up well, a little high. Wind was pushing a little from the left, but nothing serious. I was determined no bouncing this landing! Came in, got in the flare, and held it, held it, held it, and let speed bleed off. Touched down no bounce! Taxied off runway, and brought it back in.

Some good, some bad.

29 hours total in the logbook. About 3.6 solo.