FAA Books

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

RTC'83

FAA Books

Post by RTC'83 »

I will be pursuing my SP license in the next few weeks. I have started reading some of the FAA books available via the web (PDF), I have not started reading the AIM book. What parts of the AIM are applicable to SP?
RTC’83
Sport Pilot
HAPPYDAN

Re: FAA Books

Post by HAPPYDAN »

FAR Part 61, Subpart J covers Sport Pilot. But 61.315 contains privileges and limitations, which will appear on the knowledge test and the oral. As far as actual flying goes, The Airplane Flying Handbook FAA-H-8083-3A is a good place to start. There are also many very good references and practice test questions available on the internet, which I found easier to understand.
drseti

Post by drseti »

In direct response to your question, everything in the AIM is applicable to all pilots, regardless of level of certificate. But it's all informational, not regulatory. Consider the AIM just a compendium of best practices, which should be reviewed but not memorized. Your practical test will be open book, so bring your AIM with you to refer to during the oral. (I have my students put tabs in the AIM at places they're likely to want to reference.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
RTC'83

Post by RTC'83 »

Thank you both.
RTC’83
Sport Pilot
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helen

Post by Helen »

If you buy an ASA FAR/AIM you will find a list in the front of what to read for each rating.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Helen Woods
Chesapeake Sport Pilot
Quality Flight Training, Rentals, and Service
Factory Authorized RV-12 Training and Service Center
http://www.chesapeakesportpilot.com