Sport Pilot or Private Pilot?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

bneenan

Sport Pilot or Private Pilot?

Post by bneenan »

New to the board here. I have been researching the sport pilot license and was searching for a local instructor. I located one but he only has a Cessna 150 to train in. His rate is $90/hour wet including instruction. Thinking of pursuing the PPL as the cost is less than 5K even at 55 hours or just over at 60 hours. I would also have more privileges with the PPL and I could pursue other ratings etc. Not sure what to do. Thoughts?
Cluemeister

Re: Sport Pilot or Private Pilot?

Post by Cluemeister »

You are where I was 4 months ago. I started ground school anticipating to become a PPL. This allowed more plane choices to fly (four seaters), and more times to fly (night), and faster planes to fly.

Here is where my decision became Sport Pilot -

- I am happy to start flying daytime only, and good weather only. Keeps you out of trouble.
- I certainly don't have a need to take more than one passenger
- You can get buy a newer used LSA with glass cockpits very reasonably.
- I'm not a fan of 1970's planes, although others love them.
- Training costs less, and you can always go up to PPL.

Reasons why I almost went PPL -

- Couldn't find an LSA to fly locally. Finally found one 45 minutes away I can rent, but I plan to buy an LSA
- I would get grounded more often due to weather with sport pilot
- Getting my PPL also means I can also get rated IFR, which would make me a safer pilot.
- Planes are limited to 120 knots in Sport, so if you have long places to travel regularly, that trip gets longer.

Probably 9 out of 10 people suggested that I get my PPL, as you can do so much more with it. Then I went to a gathering of sport pilots at the Sebring Expo, and I met a great bunch of people face to face that are sport pilots. They like their choice, and at that point I decided to stick with sport pilot.

Your needs may vary, but I'm very happy with my choice. Good luck!
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bneenan

Post by bneenan »

Thanks. No problem with the medical other than color vision, but I can get a SODA or restriction for night flying. The PPL is attractive and could fly an LSA IFR if equipped. Two very different schools of thought on this. Looking forward to the discussion. I was 100% SP until I found the $90 rate and I can solo in it for the same.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

bneenan wrote:Thanks. No problem with the medical other than color vision, but I can get a SODA or restriction for night flying.
As a data point, my SODA, based on tower light gun signals, has no night flying restriction.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
cimmaronjim

Post by cimmaronjim »

You are not likely to save a significant amount of money because it takes time to learn to fly any plane and I think with the high power to weight ratio it's harder in an LSA.

I'm pretty sure I could have gotten the SI'S to get a medical but at what cost and hassle?

Don't let the fact that you would need more training and more tests to upgrade later stop you from starting with sport. More time with an instructor is never a bad thing.

What possibly should make you go PPL, is lack of sport aircraft availability unless you have the means to buy one.

And yeah, I'd jump all over that $90 per hour rate. I thought I was getting a bargain at $120.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bneenan

Post by bneenan »

First lesson next week and scheduling medical asap! Hopefully the instructor and I will be a good fit. He even agreed to instruct out of my home airport for an extra $20 to make $110/hour. Not sure if I'll do that or not. Looking forward to getting started either way.
Helen

Post by Helen »

Neither. Rec pilot.

If you can get a medical you should be doing rec or private not sport. With th rec certificate you can use the exact same syllabus as the sport syllabus, finish (in the real world) with the same number of hours, and use the C150 for your training and checkride. When you are done, you can buy the C150 for $20K rather than being forced to buy an LSA for $120K.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Helen Woods
Chesapeake Sport Pilot
Quality Flight Training, Rentals, and Service
Factory Authorized RV-12 Training and Service Center
http://www.chesapeakesportpilot.com
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

Great suggestion Helen. Does the instructor need any special certification?
drseti

Post by drseti »

Cluemeister wrote:Does the instructor need any special certification?
Just Subpart H CFI (plus the willingness to read the Rec Pilot PTS and review the FARs -- there are so few Rec Pilots out there that most CFIs know nothing about the rating.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

Here's a great page of definitions, along with time and money commitments.

I think rec. pilot is definitely overlooked.

http://chesapeakesportpilot.com/which-rating/