Sport Pilot or Private Pilot?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

3Dreaming

Re: Sport Pilot or Private Pilot?

Post by 3Dreaming »

If your sport pilot students are finishing in 32 hours with 5 hours of solo. You should be able to do a recreational pilot and finish in 30 hours with just 3 hours solo, even with the extra training given flying a simpler airplane.
drseti

Post by drseti »

That tracks pretty well with what Helen has been saying. I suppose if I had a certified aircraft on the flight line (instead of the 2 LSAs I'm now using), that would be worth considering.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I may have a student starting soon that may be a good canidate, so maybe II'll find out.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Please keep us posted.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

So I've been reading this thread and I find many of the comments interesting. Granted I have a minute fraction of the experience of most of the people here but I think I have some insight. First, I don't think SP has taken off the way they thought it would either. Maybe it's a geographical thing but here on Long Island there are a bunch of flight schools but only 1 still doing SP. And, they've gone from having 3-4 sport planes to just 1 Skycatcher. That's probably a good thing since it led me to getting my own, E-LSA. I don't think there is anything wrong with E-LSAs if you're careful about your selection process. They are certainly less expensive to maintain. My Zenith 601 has a more adequate useful load and in my inexperienced hands is pretty easy to fly. Now, getting someone to instruct you in an E-LSA might be a challenge. My instructor stuck with me after my accident laid me up for 6 months because he wants to see me finish and he doesn't believe any of the other SP instructors at my school will teach me in my plane. For the record before I bought my plane I made sure that the chief flight instructor at the school would provide me with an instructor.

I would think that if there was a demand for SP more schools would be doing it. To me I see more older PPs moving to SP, probably to avoid the medical. Actually, that's how I got my Zenith. The previous owner is an older PP who was concerned he might not pass his next medical so he moved to LSA. Unfortunately, his wife would only fly in one with a ballistic parachute so he bought another plane that had one and needed to sell his Zenith. I'm wondering what's going to happen to SP if they make changes to requiring a medical for PP.

I chose SP because at 55 I figured I'm not likely to have more than one passenger (my wife doesn't want to fly with me, my 21 y.o. son is not interested and I've been told I can't take my 4 y.o. daughter) and day, good weather flying was fine. Not to mention the significant cost savings over PP. After reading Paul's post about his students x-country training, I guess I'll need to talk to my instructor about me having more than one solo x-country. The dual x-country that I suggested and he's OK with will be long enough and involve some controlled airspace so I'll get good experience with it. So far I'm up to 22 hours about 6 of that was getting me back to where I was before my motorcycle accident.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

rcpilot wrote:I chose SP because at 55 .... my 4 y.o. daughter....
Hey! You have me beat! I'm 52 with a 6 year old! I've not been given a prohibition on flying with him, but I haven't because he is still prone to pushing any button, pulling any lever, or otherwise grabbing anything that catches his eye, usually at the worst possible moment.
- Bruce
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

Rc do you think your wife will ever warm up to the idea of flying? Is there someplace she would like to go that's a loooong time in a car?

My wife was not wild about me flying but now that I've painted the picture of going places (the beach) she's warmed up somewhat.

I would say don't give up on her yet!
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Merlinspop wrote:
rcpilot wrote:I chose SP because at 55 .... my 4 y.o. daughter....
Hey! You have me beat! I'm 52 with a 6 year old! I've not been given a prohibition on flying with him, but I haven't because he is still prone to pushing any button, pulling any lever, or otherwise grabbing anything that catches his eye, usually at the worst possible moment.
I don't think this is an age thing versus just being accustomed. My girls flew with me individually from ages 2 and 4 and even took the yoke from time-to-time. Our plane was also the family station wagon so they were used to being in the plane. Must have been an OK experience as my eldest went on to the Air Force Academy :-)
dave
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Cluemeister wrote:Rc do you think your wife will ever warm up to the idea of flying? Is there someplace she would like to go that's a loooong time in a car?

My wife was not wild about me flying but now that I've painted the picture of going places (the beach) she's warmed up somewhat.

I would say don't give up on her yet!
She's understandably concerned about the potential dangers in my hobby, especially after I was almost killed in a motorcycle accident. It doesn't help that there has been about 7 plane crashes on Long Island this year. I suppose she might eventually come around. She didn't flip out when I told her I soloed.
drseti

Post by drseti »

dstclair wrote: Must have been an OK experience as my eldest went on to the Air Force Academy :-)
You must be very proud of her. (Don't forget to tell her that, often.)
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US