Sport Pilot or Private Pilot?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

MrMorden

Re: Sport Pilot or Private Pilot?

Post by MrMorden »

....... .......

....... :wink:

....... ....... ....... ?

:mrgreen:
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

MrMorden wrote:....... !
HEY! Keep it clean. 8)
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

FastEddieB wrote:
MrMorden wrote:....... !
HEY! Keep it clean. 8)

....... :oops:
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
drseti

Post by drseti »

Here's a comparative analysis of the various entry-level pilot rating options, from this year's US Sport Aviation Expo program book. It doesn't list all the factors I would consider, but it's a start.
ratings.jpg
ratings.jpg (36.96 KiB) Viewed 5405 times
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Interesting.
Thanks, Paul.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Paul -- the Recreational Pilot certificate requires 30 hrs (15 instruction/15 solo) versus the 40 in the chart.
dave
drseti

Post by drseti »

I didn't create the chart, Dave, I just posted what Expo had published. Thanks for pointing out the error.
I suspect the additional 10 hours might have been meant to represent the additional training required for XC endorsement, but I can't be sure.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

dstclair wrote:Paul -- the Recreational Pilot certificate requires 30 hrs (15 instruction/15 solo) versus the 40 in the chart.
And the reduced hours would reduce the cost from $10k.
MikeP

Post by MikeP »

I'm confused (not unusual). What is the Rec Pilot rating down in the US? I thought it was SP and the next up was PP. Is there an advantage to get the RP certificate and not get the PP license other than not having to take the medical?
drseti

Post by drseti »

First off, the US rec pilot certificate does currently require a medical certificate. It came into existence long before the Sport Pilot rating was introduced, at a time when the entry level pilot's license was Private. It was initially (modestly) popular because it required only 30 hours of training, vs. the 40 required for Private Pilot (both those figures, it should be noted, were FAA minimums, and often bore little relationship to actual hours flown by candidates). It was a restrictive license, in that all cross country flights required instructor approval (this has since been modified to allow a one-time blanket XC endorsement from a CFI). Its advantage over Sport Pilot is the privilege of flying larger aircraft (though still with a one passenger restriction). Its advantage over Private is that less training is required (especially if one foregoes the XC training, and is content to fly just in the local area). Like Sport Pilot, Rec Pilots here are restricted to day VFR and lower altitudes than Private.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

MikeP wrote:I'm confused (not unusual). What is the Rec Pilot rating down in the US? I thought it was SP and the next up was PP. Is there an advantage to get the RP certificate and not get the PP license other than not having to take the medical?
Down here the recreational certificate requires that you get a medical. The recreational certificate has been in existence since sometime in the 1980's. Its training requirements, privileges, and limitations are similar to sport pilot. The big thing is you don't have to do your training in a light sport aircraft. You can train in many of the traditional training aircraft like Cessna 150, 152, 172, and Piper Cherokee series aircraft. These aircraft are easier to learn to fly than many of the light sport aircraft, and are more widely available for training.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Let me add to Tom's comment that the aircraft a Rec Pilot is likely to fly are much less expensive to purchase than those typically flown by Sport Pilots. (Of course, comparing a 50 year old Cessna or Piper to a brand new SLSA is like comparing apples to kumquats...)
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MikeP

Post by MikeP »

Ok. That one sure slipped by me. I lived in the US till 2000. SP came into existence in 2004 I think. It's all different up here. Everyone is licensed. UL up to ATP. But plane weight limits are more generous here. 25 hours to get Rec License here and single place planes up to certain weights (Sonex Onex is one) can be flown with the UL permit. Not sure about down your way, but lower rated certificates can be upgraded with more training, but not all hours logged are applicable.
Almost all flight schools up here that teach Rec Pilot rating do so in certified planes. Cessna 152s mainly. A couple flighing clubs use LSA planes for rec and private licenses. But whatever one you are enrolled in, the check ride is in a certified plane.
Last edited by MikeP on Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Cluemeister wrote:
dstclair wrote:Paul -- the Recreational Pilot certificate requires 30 hrs (15 instruction/15 solo) versus the 40 in the chart.
Make sure you add back in the additional cost of training for the cross country endorsement, so you can go more than 50nm from your home airport! :?
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

MrMorden wrote:
Cluemeister wrote:
Make sure you add back in the additional cost of training for the cross country endorsement, so you can go more than 50nm from your home airport! :?
Andy, I have seen averages of 35 hours for sport pilot in a Flight Design CT, and this includes the cross country training.

I think I could train a recreational pilot in the 30 hour minimum in my Piper warrior including the cross country training.

While the FAA required training is more I think the cost of training can be less.