Sport Pilot or Private Pilot?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Cluemeister

Re: Sport Pilot or Private Pilot?

Post by Cluemeister »

That's a great chart, thanks!

If you can pass a medical, you're ok with max 1 passenger and no night flying, rec would be an excellent choice. You still can fly 4 seaters, 180 hp max, and 10,000 max altitude. Seems reasonable.
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

My personal view is the Rec Pilot is a great option that fits many missions while giving you more options on aircraft vs. Sport Pilot. The medical is the major difference as far as pilot requirements.
dave
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

"So basically the same as Sport Pilot but without the aircraft weight limit."

Well, there's more to it than that in the real world. How broad is your selection of instructors when you want to start training? How many training LSA a/c are conveniently located near you? How available are rental LSA a/c once you are licensed? Or if buying, how broad will your selection of a/c for sale be, and at what price vs. what mission capability? And would you like to fly more than one passenger (e.g. sig other and child) after licensed?
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

SportPilot wrote:I would not go for Sport Pilot certificate if I knew I could pass and keep a 3rd class medical.

I would not limit myself to a single passenger with a Recreational Pilot certificate if I had a medical.

Bottom line, I would go for Private Pilot certificate if I knew I could pass and keep a 3rd class medical.

This is just my opinion.
Just because this is what you would do doesn't make it right for everyone else.

Some people simply don't want private pilot privileges, and don't care about flying at night or under instrument conditions. Most of the time they have done their research and think the sport pilot certificate is what they want. The recreational certificate is a good option if they can pass the medical. As an added bonus it greatly increases the number of places and aircraft that are available to them to get the training for the privileges they want. Why try to shove the private pilot certificate down their throats if it is something they don't want?
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

SportPilot wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:
SportPilot wrote:I would not go for Sport Pilot certificate if I knew I could pass and keep a 3rd class medical.

I would not limit myself to a single passenger with a Recreational Pilot certificate if I had a medical.

Bottom line, I would go for Private Pilot certificate if I knew I could pass and keep a 3rd class medical.

This is just my opinion.
Just because this is what you would do doesn't make it right for everyone else.

Why try to shove the private pilot certificate down their throats if it is something they don't want?
Please allow me to post an opinion without a response such as this. Thank you.
You only get a response like that when you edit the meat of the quoted comment out. Next time try using the whole quote.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

SportPilot wrote:You responded to and quoted my entire post.
When you quoted me you left this out,

"Some people simply don't want private pilot privileges, and don't care about flying at night or under instrument conditions. Most of the time they have done their research and think the sport pilot certificate is what they want. The recreational certificate is a good option if they can pass the medical. As an added bonus it greatly increases the number of places and aircraft that are available to them to get the training for the privileges they want.",

changing the context of what I said.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

SportPilot wrote:If I could pass a 3rd class medical I would limit myself to a single passenger.
I quoted your whole post so there was no confusion about the comment, because when you delete a few words and it changes the whole meaning of the quote like this.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

SportPilot wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:
SportPilot wrote:If I could pass a 3rd class medical I would limit myself to a single passenger.
I quoted your whole post so there was no confusion about the comment, because when you delete a few words and it changes the whole meaning of the quote like this.
Why are we having this argument? I posted an opinion. You quoted my opinion with a legitimate response preceeded and followed with attacking comments that were unnecessary. I asked you to please allow me to post an opinion.
"Just because this is what you would do doesn't make it right for everyone else." This is just a statement saying other people might not share your opinion. It is not an attack.

"Why try to shove the private pilot certificate down their throats if it is something they don't want?" This is a question, not an attack.

Just because someone doesn't agree with you or ask a question it is not a personal attack.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

SportPilot wrote:.......

........x2! :twisted:
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »