Wildlife Refuge

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

designrs

Wildlife Refuge

Post by designrs »

Re: Wildlife refuges marked with the blue outline and dots within that line on the FAA chart.
Suggested altitude is at least 2,000 AGL. Is this a suggestion or a requirement?

Can you get "busted" for flying lower? I heard about someone that supposedly did get busted, but I wonder how low he really was and about other possible contributing minimum altitude violations.

What about in vicinity of an airport? Is reasonable pattern, approach and/or departure exempt?

I believe the purpose of the designation is noise abatement, yet Rotax aircraft are so quiet.
Thoughts?

Related article here (although I'm not addressing major parks like the Grand Canyon... just the smaller refuges that we are likely to find on many charts)
http://www.swaviator.com/html/issueSO02 ... 91002.html

Thanks!