"House call" CFI in Arizona?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

deckofficer

"House call" CFI in Arizona?

Post by deckofficer »

For obtaining my SP license I would like to do this in my own plane that would be based at my future air park home/hangar. The location would be Western Sky Airpark (OAZ2) in Salome, AZ., less than 100 road miles from Phoenix. I would pay travel time and expense for a CFI from Phoenix or any area within 100 miles of Salome. Back around 1980 I solo'ed a 150 and have about 15 hours solo in same. My hope would be to get checked out to solo the new plane, then I could continue my lessons by flying from my home to the FBO that the CFI is based.

Does this sound plausible?

Any suggestions?
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage
Former USHGA and NCHGA
SportPilot

Re: "House call" CFI in Arizona?

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deckofficer

Post by deckofficer »

SportPilot wrote:Yes, except...

To make repeated solo cross country flights to Phoenix, your instructor will have to give you cross country instruction, etc. By the time he is able to sign you off to make these flights, you will be very close to taking your Sport Pilot check ride. It might make sense to keep your airplane where ever your instructor is located for a while until you take your check ride and you drive back and forth instead of the CFI.
Thanks, that is the feedback I'm looking for. What would be ideal is to locate a flight school that is using the make of plane I'm interested in purchasing and if they have it and it is near retirement from their fleet, work out a package deal for instruction and purchase. I would like my 1st plane purchase to be a popular and efficient model like Flight Design CTLS(i) injected if available.
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage
Former USHGA and NCHGA
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

There are some schools/CFI's that offer accelerated programs for Sport Pilot. Perhaps you could take a week or two "vacation", have your plane delivered to the flight school, and then fly home as a sport pilot.

The only downside is if it takes longer to finish, then you're far from home at the end of your accelerated training with no sport pilot certificate. :(
deckofficer

Post by deckofficer »

Both replies are good. I need to get the air park home first. This is the foggy season in Sacramento, so even though I trained in this area 30 years ago, I'll wait till I get moved to Arizona for my retirement. I have cared for my dad for over 6 years and feeling a bit guilty for placing him in a care facility, so as it is now my priority is daily visits. I'm just trying to see if I can get some things lined up for the future when my time is my time. This post was in hopes of maybe hooking up with a CFI in that area to help arrange finding a good plane and instruction for the future.
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage
Former USHGA and NCHGA
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

There is a school with a CTLS in Bisbee.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deckofficer

Post by deckofficer »

SportPilot wrote:I wouldn't be surprised is someone living at the airpark is a CFI.
That would be perfect. Western Sky is new and looks like only 14 homes so far, and field stats report only 3 active planes at the field. There is another air park with about 80 homes only 2 miles away, better odds of finding a CFI. Then there is Agulia with an air park about 30 road miles away.

The Bisbee school with the CTLS sounds promising.
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage
Former USHGA and NCHGA
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

Eric in Bisbee, coppercityaviation.com, is a great instructor and has a bunch of hours training LSA, and even has a CT that he rents.

Sonny Weller, at KDVT, trained me in my CT. Great guy, flexible, laid back with experience in many aircraft. Sonnyweller.com

Tim
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
deckofficer

Post by deckofficer »

ct4me wrote:Eric in Bisbee, coppercityaviation.com, is a great instructor and has a bunch of hours training LSA, and even has a CT that he rents.

Sonny Weller, at KDVT, trained me in my CT. Great guy, flexible, laid back with experience in many aircraft. Sonnyweller.com

Tim
Thanks. KDVT is a 75 nm from OAZ2, much closer than Bisbee. When I get moved I'll contact Sonny. Laid back is the polar opposite of my old instructor from 30 years ago, sounds like it would be a nice change. And if he is less than the almost 300 lbs of my last instructor that would be good too.
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage
Former USHGA and NCHGA
LightSportMan

Post by LightSportMan »

if you are still looking for a CFI please checkout my page.. http://LightSportMan.com.. .I am CFI
cynamonb

Post by cynamonb »

Have checked to see if any of your prospective neighbors are CFI's? It's very possible that someone in the park may be able to give you instruction.