CFI-S Syllabus

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Flocker

CFI-S Syllabus

Post by Flocker »

Does anyone have a syllabus they'd be willing to share for the Sport Pilot CFI training program?
Aviation Real Estate Broker
HAPPYDAN

Re: CFI-S Syllabus

Post by HAPPYDAN »

drseti

Post by drseti »

That syllabus is for training Sport Pilot candidates, Dan. I think what Flocker is looking for (correct me if I'm wrong) is a syllabus for training Sport CFI (FAR 61 Subpart k) candidates. I know of none, but it should be essentially the same as a Subpart H CFI syllabus, with the exception of it lacking spin training and instructing in complex and high performance aircraft.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Good start. The second thing is to start saying everything out loud, as clearly as possible, as you're doing it. Your spouse will look at you like you're crazy (and will probably be right), but this will help you to hone a vital instructional skill.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:That syllabus is for training Sport Pilot candidates, Dan. I think what Flocker is looking for (correct me if I'm wrong) is a syllabus for training Sport CFI (FAR 61 Subpart k) candidates. I know of none, but it should be essentially the same as a Subpart H CFI syllabus, with the exception of it lacking spin training and instructing in complex and high performance aircraft.
61.409 list the areas in which you must have ground and flight training to be a sport pilot instructor, and according to it you must have training in spins. Since you can only teach sport pilots you only need to know how to teach sport pilot maneuvers. You could also download the Sport pilot CFI PTS and take a look at what you will need to be able to do. The big thing is not being able to fly, but to be able to teach. Make sure you really know the fundamentals of teaching, and how to do a lesson plan.
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

drseti wrote:I think what Flocker is looking for (correct me if I'm wrong) is a syllabus for training Sport CFI (FAR 61 Subpart k) candidates.
Correct.
Aviation Real Estate Broker
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Flocker wrote:
drseti wrote:I think what Flocker is looking for (correct me if I'm wrong) is a syllabus for training Sport CFI (FAR 61 Subpart k) candidates.
Correct.
Oh. Sorry.