King school PC DVD course/ Cessna course

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Kingkiley

King school PC DVD course/ Cessna course

Post by Kingkiley »

Hi,

I'm saving up for a PC-DVD course and it seems that the King School course is a good one. I did check out the Cessna course
they offer but, it doesn't have all the videos included. It's more of a video/power point version. I do like the way they teach the
course and the memorizing style they use. I did check out some of the demos on You Tube to see what the videos look like.

The other one I did look at was from Sporty's but, it seems to be a little dull to study with. And the same seems to hold true to
the Gleim version.

Any thoughts about the different training courses I've listed?

I've decided to take my flight training at Cub Air. But, I am saving up for that too and will have enough money come spring.
What I was thinking of doing is to learn from the King course over winter and then do the flight training in spring. That way at
least I can have some knowledge before my flight training.

Thanks
chavycha

Re: King school PC DVD course/ Cessna course

Post by chavycha »

I've used the Cessna / King Private Pilot online course and found it to be top-notch. The Private course shares many of the videos with the Sport version (shot in a Cessna 162). I've also used the Cessna Instrument Rating course and really like it. I'm not sure what you mean when you say the Cessna material doesn't have the videos included. They have a set of flight preview videos (to give you an idea of what you'll see when you do the maneuver in the aircraft). They also integrate videos into the lessons. A lesson usually contains a combination of diagrams, interactive modules, and video, followed by relevant questions. For me, that's a nice way to learn.

If you've got consistent Internet access I'd recommend an online course, just because the material is usually more current than DVD/CD/etc.

I just finished a King Sport Instructor course that came on 16CDs and wouldn't run on anything later than Windows XP. Barf. The content itself wasn't that bad, but the grainy videos were shot when John King still had hair. This course had a ton of video, but I felt the interactive parts of the Cessna courses were actually more effective in making that knowledge 'stick'.
Scott K. :: A bunch of silly letters
Disclaimer :: Listen to me at your own risk. These are just my opinions...
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

I used the King Schools Sport Pilot Interactive Video Ground School and Test Prep Course (Airplane), and the SP Practical Test Course. The package included 5 additional discs. I finished the SP Ground some months ago and scored 95% on the FAA written - good enough. The lessons were interesting, and explanations were clear and concise. And, at the end of the course, you can request an endorsement certificate (online) from John King, which you will need to present to the test proctor. The additional discs I have used are Takeoffs and Landings Made Easy and Communications. TLME is helpful, but they refer to and use a Cessna 172 - IMO a totally different animal than the Cessna 162. The Commo disc is very helpful, since here in Western Washington it is nearly impossible to avoid controlled airspace or other A/C, and most of my flights have been in Class D or E, so I am constantly using the radio and transponder. Good luck and follow your dream!
Also, you can find a ton of helpful info on the internet for free. UND has an entire series of practical aircraft operations and training videos on UTUBE. They are university lecture quality, so they can get pretty technical. Just Google a subject (i.e., how to land a Cessna 152) and watch what comes up!
designrs

Post by designrs »

I did Gleim for the Sport Pilot knowledge test and scored in the 90's.
It's like PowerPoint presentation and multiple choices questions.
Pretty straightforward fact study, but it does the job.

Rod Machado's Sport Pilot Handbook (available online) is great reading: short, well illustrated, humorous, relevant and memorable. It's very good at explaining concepts through illustrations.

The King course for the Sport Pilot Checkride was most helpful. It presents John King as the "student" going for his oral and Checkride with the examiner. Through this role-play I learned a lot about the Checkride, attitude to present and communicate, and felt a lot better going in for the Checkride.

Good luck!
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Rich - Thanks for the info. I also have the Checkride disc, and it's next on my list to review.