Buying your own plane for training

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Re: Buying your own plane for training

Post by drseti »

Thanks for the clarification. I do agree with the basic premise.

So, what are you considering for your next plane? I wish you all the best on your move up the food chain!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Ah, the joys of aircraft ownership. So over the weekend there was a slow drip from one of the wing tank drains. Then tonight my instructor was flying off the last of his insurance requirement hours when he got a flat on the nose gear. Luckily I knew the tires needed to be replaced and the new tubes I ordered arrived tonight. I also had one new tire that came with the plane so they'll be waiting for the mechanic in the AM. First official lesson is tomorrow. Yeah!
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

drseti wrote:Thanks for the clarification. I do agree with the basic premise.

So, what are you considering for your next plane? I wish you all the best on your move up the food chain!
The next plane is a Lancair ES-P....New build, new factory Continental TSIO-550-E engine with dual electronic ignitions. We will have dual Garmin G3x (PFD/MFD) and Garmin GTN 750 nav/com all touch interfaces. We are adding a BRS chute, autopilot, 2020 compliant ADS-B with dual AHRS, TKS deicing and a Mid Continent SAM glass backup. We will also have backup oxygen from Mountain High.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

drseti wrote:So, what are you considering for your next plane?
CTLSi wrote:The next plane is a Lancair ES-P....New build, new factory Continental TSIO-550-E engine with dual electronic ignitions. We will have dual Garmin G3x (PFD/MFD) and Garmin GTN 750 nav/com all touch interfaces. We are adding a BRS chute, autopilot, 2020 compliant ADS-B with dual AHRS, TKS deicing and a Mid Continent SAM glass backup. We will also have backup oxygen from Mountain High.
That's going to be a great package.
What will be max service ceiling on your new airplane?
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
designrs

Post by designrs »

Wow. That's some plane CTLSi. Is it officially ordered?
I've been craving more performance.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Wm.Ince wrote:
drseti wrote:So, what are you considering for your next plane?
CTLSi wrote:The next plane is a Lancair ES-P....New build, new factory Continental TSIO-550-E engine with dual electronic ignitions. We will have dual Garmin G3x (PFD/MFD) and Garmin GTN 750 nav/com all touch interfaces. We are adding a BRS chute, autopilot, 2020 compliant ADS-B with dual AHRS, TKS deicing and a Mid Continent SAM glass backup. We will also have backup oxygen from Mountain High.
That's going to be a great package.
What will be max service ceiling on your new airplane?
Mr. Ince...the ceiling will be FL250. We are going to setup the pressurization for 7000 foot cabin at FL230. We are hoping to get 215ktas at FL250 @ 17gph. We do plan to fly the aircraft below 14k and finish our instrument training in it...this plan allows us to get experience in the plane before venturing into the flight levels.

Designers....we are using a professional builder. The idea is to get a Cirrus SR22T with pressurization, better avionics for less than half the price...so far so good.
designrs

Post by designrs »

CTLSi, that's quite exciting. Please keep us updated.
Would love to follow your progress.
Are you posting build photos to a gallery or another board?
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Not posting photos...but will give status from time to time...the tentative begin of flight tests early next year.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

CTLSi wrote:" . . . the ceiling will be FL250. We are going to setup the pressurization for 7000 foot cabin at FL230. We are hoping to get 215ktas at FL250 @ 17gph." . . .
Thank you for your answer.
At FL 250, you will be able to get above a lot of the weather. Anything higher than that, other than embedded thunderstorms, you should be able to "pick your way around it."
NEVER, EVER, FLY THROUGH A THUNDERSTORM. Avoid CB's at all cost. (My unsolicited 2 cents). . . :)
That is going to be an awesome airplane for the price.
Excited for you. Hope you will post some pics after the paint is dry.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

It will certainly bring a new dimension to flying for that $100 HamBurger.
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Well, first lesson is finally in the books. Nothing fancy, just turns, climbs and descents. Not as easy as it looks. Take off was funny as I was so concentrating on keeping the plane straight I kinda forgot to take off as we were going more than fast enough when the instructor said you might want to pull back now. Then of course I forgot about right rudder and we drifted a bit to the left. I have to admit, Long Island has some nice scenery along the beach (when you're not too busy trying to hold altitude and airspeed), It was a bit hazy at lower altitudes so there wasn't a good reference point on the horizon. Things started to clear up around 6,000 feet. I have some homework and unless there's a cancellation my next lesson won't be till next week. But then I'm booked 2 lessons a week for the next six weeks (schools site only lets you schedule 45 days out). By then I'll have to change to an earlier timeslot as the days will be getting shorter. The fun has begun.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

rcpilot wrote:Well, first lesson is finally in the books. Nothing fancy, just turns, climbs and descents. Not as easy as it looks. Take off was funny as I was so concentrating on keeping the plane straight I kinda forgot to take off as we were going more than fast enough when the instructor said you might want to pull back now. Then of course I forgot about right rudder and we drifted a bit to the left. I have to admit, Long Island has some nice scenery along the beach (when you're not too busy trying to hold altitude and airspeed), It was a bit hazy at lower altitudes so there wasn't a good reference point on the horizon. Things started to clear up around 6,000 feet. I have some homework and unless there's a cancellation my next lesson won't be till next week. But then I'm booked 2 lessons a week for the next six weeks (schools site only lets you schedule 45 days out). By then I'll have to change to an earlier timeslot as the days will be getting shorter. The fun has begun.
Have fun RC.
Your post put a smile on my face. . . . 8)
Bill Ince
LSRI
designrs

Post by designrs »

The enjoyable challenges of primary flight training... a magical time!
At the time it seemed mostly about training to achieve a goal.
Looking back on now is the retaliation that it was so much fun!
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

rcpilot wrote:Well, first lesson is finally in the books. Nothing fancy, just turns, climbs and descents. Not as easy as it looks. Take off was funny as I was so concentrating on keeping the plane straight I kinda forgot to take off as we were going more than fast enough when the instructor said you might want to pull back now. Then of course I forgot about right rudder and we drifted a bit to the left. I have to admit, Long Island has some nice scenery along the beach (when you're not too busy trying to hold altitude and airspeed), It was a bit hazy at lower altitudes so there wasn't a good reference point on the horizon. Things started to clear up around 6,000 feet. I have some homework and unless there's a cancellation my next lesson won't be till next week. But then I'm booked 2 lessons a week for the next six weeks (schools site only lets you schedule 45 days out). By then I'll have to change to an earlier timeslot as the days will be getting shorter. The fun has begun.
Try not to be too critical of anything you do in your training. Over time you will do things more automatically as you get your 'muscle memory.' At first it's a firehose of inputs...you will see spurts of quick learning, and times when you plateau and get a little frustrated.

The major milestones are to pass your written, get to your solo phase, refine your flying to PTS standards, and pass your checkride. Don't get hung up on how long it takes...the little plastic card with Orville and Wilbur Wright on the back will be in your wallet before you know it...
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

CTLSi wrote:Try not to be too critical of anything you do in your training. Over time you will do things more automatically as you get your 'muscle memory.' At first it's a fire hose of inputs . . . you will see spurts of quick learning, and times when you plateau and get a little frustrated.
The major milestones are to pass your written, get to your solo phase, refine your flying to PTS standards, and pass your check ride. Don't get hung up on how long it takes . . . the little plastic card with Orville and Wilbur Wright on the back will be in your wallet before you know it . . .
Pretty good advice.
Bill Ince
LSRI