Buying your own plane for training

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

rcpilot

Re: Buying your own plane for training

Post by rcpilot »

Done with lesson #2. 1.8 hours flight time. Slow flight and stalls. The Zodiac doesn't really do much just kind of mushes and then eventually, if you wait long enough, the nose will drop. It recovers quickly. It's more work remembering how to configure the plane for the maneuver than the actual recovery. Had a nice leisurely flight back to the airport along the beach at 500' and 100 mph indicated while the instructor quizzed me. The instructor demonstrated a touch and go and I then demonstrated how not to setup for a landing. Well, landings are probably lesson 5. lol Next up: Emergency procedures. Total flight time 4 hours.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

rcpilot wrote:Done with lesson #2. 1.8 hours flight time. Slow flight and stalls. The Zodiac doesn't really do much just kind of mushes and then eventually, if you wait long enough, the nose will drop. It recovers quickly. It's more work remembering how to configure the plane for the maneuver than the actual recovery. Had a nice leisurely flight back to the airport along the beach at 500' and 100 mph indicated while the instructor quizzed me. The instructor demonstrated a touch and go and I then demonstrated how not to setup for a landing. Well, landings are probably lesson 5. lol Next up: Emergency procedures. Total flight time 4 hours.
The one thing to always remember if the CFI didn't remind you is to KEEP THE BALL CENTERED on your stalls. Stalls are practiced to show you A. what they feel like and B. how to avoid dropping a wing and entering a spin if you do feel a stall begin. Stalling is the number one loss of control mishap that results in a bad day. Especially on your base turn to final.

Also, start to think in terms of knots and Celsius not mph and Fahrenheit. These two formulas come in handy...°C x 9/5 + 32 = °F and (°F - 32) x 5/9 = °C. And for speed multiply 1.15 x knots to get mph. The reason for this is because the METARS, TAFS and other aviation weather products use knots and celsius...

For many (myself included) learning to land correctly was the toughest part of training. And learning to land (calm wind, xwind, short field, soft field) is what you must get down before you are allowed to solo.
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

I'd really like to know what sadistic bastard came up with some of the abbreviations for the METARs, like BR is mist. Really? How'd they get that. I have the AOPA app on my phone which gives me the option of English or gibberish. lol
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

rcpilot wrote:I'd really like to know what sadistic bastard came up with some of the abbreviations for the METARs, like BR is mist.
His initials are ICAO.
That changed everything.
I liked the good old days better.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

"...what sadistic bastard came up with some of the abbreviations for the METARs, like BR is mist. Really?"

You don't think everyone memorizes those things by rote, right? BR is of course 'baby rain'. Easy to remember when you think of it that way.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

rcpilot wrote:I'd really like to know what sadistic bastard came up with some of the abbreviations for the METARs, like BR is mist. Really? How'd they get that. I have the AOPA app on my phone which gives me the option of English or gibberish. lol
How about FU? Smoke.

http://www.aopa.org/Pilot-Resources/PIC ... reviations
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

How about FU? Smoke.
That one's easy -- "Flame Up"
dave
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

dstclair wrote:
How about FU? Smoke.
Okay, how about this one...no googling.

ACSL
drseti

Post by drseti »

Aircraft Cruising at Sea Level?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

dstclair wrote:
How about FU? Smoke.
That was not what immediately came to my mind. :lol:
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
designrs

Post by designrs »

There's no need for this gibberish today.

Coded METAR: It is the equivalent of sending a telegram... coded in a foreign language. STOP.

Zulu time: Needs to be auto-decoded as well. Unless you're flying through multiple time zones, forgetaboutit! High possibility for error.

Text / Coded TFR: Could it possibly take more time to decode excessive information with potentially confusing results?

E6B wizwheel: Slide rule calculator anyone?

ADS-B In/Out: It's now a vital part of the scan.

ForeFlight and similar applications changed the world... fast, comprehensive, clear, concise information in plain language, with tons of highly relevant visual references as appropriate, on demand.

The older methods provide an understanding of the fundamentals, but competence in Forflight and/or similar applications, with appropriate backup resources, should be the new checkride standards for real-world proficiency.
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

ForeFlight and similar applications changed the world... fast, comprehensive, clear, concise information in plain language, with tons of highly relevant visual references as appropriate, on demand.
But Foreflight still does not offer a 'Plain Language' translation of weather briefings so you have to do the archaic translations yourself. Keep in mind a prior ruling pretty much states that the graphical representations of a briefing are informational only.
dave
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

designrs wrote:There's no need for this gibberish today.
The older methods provide an understanding of the fundamentals, but competence in Forflight and/or similar applications, with appropriate backup resources, should be the new checkride standards for real-world proficiency.
Technology races at the speed of light compared to the turtle pace of government regulators. And there are willing allies among pilots perfectly happy to defend and cling to the old designs/materials, old instruments, paper charts, and convoluted regulations.

I came from and engineering background in Silicon Valley so when I started to fly I readily accepted the advanced aircraft design as embodied in the FD CTLSi equipped with all glass PFD/MFD and touchscreen GPS/EFB and Angle-Of-Attack meter and TIS-TCAS and ADS-B and 2-axis autopilot and BRS chute. And I have avoided leaded AVGAS too.

I managed to escape much of the trudging analog instruments, navigating via CDI, and paper sectionals.

Nextgen is probably still a decade away. Until then we all have to deal with the hodgepodge of old world aviation (Instrument training has forced me to deal with RNAV) and the new world trickling in (GPS and active collision avoidance and active landing systems)...
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

designrs wrote:. . . "ForeFlight and similar applications changed the world... fast, comprehensive, clear, concise information in plain language, with tons of highly relevant visual references as appropriate, on demand.
The older methods provide an understanding of the fundamentals, but competence in Forflight and/or similar applications, with appropriate backup resources, should be the new checkride standards for real-world proficiency." . . .
Concur.
Safety consciousness, situational awareness and technical proficiency.
It's all about having fun and doing it in a safe manner.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.