Buying your own plane for training

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

rcpilot

Re: Buying your own plane for training

Post by rcpilot »

eyeflygps wrote:Remember, unicom does not switch you to a different runway. They merely report which runway local traffic is using and which runway the winds favor. You can use any runway you want, but it's generally best to use the same runway as all the other traffic.
Right you are and I've seen people using "any" runway, not to mention making up their own patterns, many times. Even though he wanted me to do one more crosswind landing he acknowledged it was a bit busy to go against the flow.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

rcpilot wrote: Right you are and I've seen people using "any" runway, not to mention making up their own patterns, many times.
Good time to mention that while flying a pattern is not legally required (though highly recommended), if you DO decide to fly a pattern the direction IS specified and carries the force of law.

Basically, once in the pattern all turns must be to the left, unless a non-standard pattern is indicated, in which case all turns must be to the right.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Well, tomorrow is the day. Had my last check ride check ride with my instructor. He was pleased and if tomorrow goes like today I should be in good shape.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

All the examiner does is to confirm what your instructor already knows: You're ready!

Best of luck regardless, but I don't think you'll need it.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
pjdavis

Post by pjdavis »

RC,

How did it go today? Been pulling for you!

PJ
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Well, as Batiatus from Spartacus would say, "God's spread cheeks and shove c*** into a**". I go meet the DPE(about 45 minutes from where my plane is). First he's 30 minutes late. Ok we should still have time before it gets dark. I give him some paperwork and then he asks about my plane. "It's an experimental he says". I don't know if I can give you the check ride in that plane. Whoa. You mean to tell me my instructor didn't point this out. He calls a couple people at the FSDO to find out if he can. Someone eventually calls him back but doesn't have the answer and will have to "research it". Well thank you very much. So right now no idea when or if I'll get this done. It's only getting colder and the days are shorter.
pjdavis

Post by pjdavis »

That sucks! That is like being on the table in the OR and the doctor asks what are you here for...I hope you get a chance to do it real soon!

PJ
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Drat!

Pretty sure you CAN take the checkride in an Experimental - I can't think of where it says you can't.

Slightly different, but I've taken two CFI recertification/renewal checkrides in my Experimental Sky Arrow and it was never an issue.

Good luck and don't let this rattle you. This too shall pass.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

The answer is yes you can use an experimental aircraft for the checkride. It is also up to the DPE. There are certain requirements that any airplane used for a checkride must meet. They are spelled out in the regulations and the PTS for sport pilot. Almost all of the gyroplane ratings are done in experimental gyroplanes.
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

He did look in his paperwork and see that he can give a check ride, at his discretion, but he had some issues with the fact that my POH doesn't spell out how to do soft/short field takeoffs and landings. So, we're waiting on someone at the local FSDO to tell him what to do.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

To be fair, the "at his discretion" portion makes a lot of sense.

Remember, an Experimental can be maintained by anyone, and modified extensively. One does not even use the word "Airworthy" as pertains to Experimentals, since there are no standard to which it is maintained or modified. All the Annual Condition Inspection shows is that the plane "is in condition for safe flight", which contains a pretty subjective evaluation.

Hence the 2" EXPERIMENTAL decals and this, both required to warn possible passengers:

I would not criticize or demean any DPE or other pilot that balks at flying in an Experimental - there is some leap of faith involved. But the solution here is obvious, if this DPE is hesitant, find another. A local EAA Chapter may be able to point you in the right direction.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

rcpilot wrote:He did look in his paperwork and see that he can give a check ride, at his discretion, but he had some issues with the fact that my POH doesn't spell out how to do soft/short field takeoffs and landings. So, we're waiting on someone at the local FSDO to tell him what to do.
He could do the checkride in a Piper Cub, Taylorcraft, or a Luscombe. Those are all standard category aircraft that have no POH or a published procedure spelled out for short/soft take offs and landings. Many aircraft built prior to 1979 did not have a POH. Some did come with a operation manual, but some did not. In a case like that you use a standard procedure as spelled out in the Airplane Flying Handbook.

The purpose of demonstration the Short and soft take offs and landings on the checkride is not about the individual maneuvers, but rather the pilots ability to control the airplane.
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

3Dreaming wrote:
rcpilot wrote:He did look in his paperwork and see that he can give a check ride, at his discretion, but he had some issues with the fact that my POH doesn't spell out how to do soft/short field takeoffs and landings. So, we're waiting on someone at the local FSDO to tell him what to do.
He could do the checkride in a Piper Cub, Taylorcraft, or a Luscombe. Those are all standard category aircraft that have no POH or a published procedure spelled out for short/soft take offs and landings. Many aircraft built prior to 1979 did not have a POH. Some did come with a operation manual, but some did not. In a case like that you use a standard procedure as spelled out in the Airplane Flying Handbook.

The purpose of demonstration the Short and soft take offs and landings on the checkride is not about the individual maneuvers, but rather the pilots ability to control the airplane.
Pretty much my instructor used the PTS as a guide when teaching me these and just used "standard" techniques. I told the DPE normally we don't use flaps for takeoff and use about 1/3 for the short and soft field. I found a more recent POH from Zenith but it's only refernce to short field takeoffs and landings is same as normal.
Parker

Post by Parker »

When I took my check ride in a Piper Sport Cruiser I showed the examiner what the POH said about short field takeoffs.

4.12 Short field takeoff and landing procedures
None

He studied the POH for a bit and then said, "do one anyway."
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

So while I'm waiting for someone to decide if they're going to give me a check ride in my plane, I decided to go flying yesterday. Since time is changing and flying after work is no longer going to happen and this week is a bit busy for me. I get up early, stop and get something to eat and head to the field. Preflight the plane and then go to start it. It's in the mid 30's and it's giving me a hard time and now the battery is dead. I text the mechanic for some ideas. I pull off the top of the cowl and see that I can jump it. So I go home and get my battery booster. Hook it up and the thing fires right up. In fact I've never seen the prop spin so fast before it started so my guess is the battery has been on the way out for a while. Warm up the engine and to put a charge on the battery then turn it off, disconnect the booster and button it back up. It starts right up and off I go for some flying. New battery is on order. Hoping the local DPE will decide to do it and the week after this I'll get it done.