Sport Pilot Training on Long island

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

rcpilot

Sport Pilot Training on Long island

Post by rcpilot »

Does anyone know of a school(other that Midisland Air) or private instructors doing training on Long Island?
drseti

Re: Sport Pilot Training on Long island

Post by drseti »

I know of no others on LI, but I have no hesitation at all to recommend Mid Island.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

My only problem with them is they only have one LSA, a Skycatcher and apparently my 260 lbs is too much. So it's either (pardon the expression) a crash diet or find someone with a plane with a higher useful load. If I had $115K I'd buy the Remos they're selling.
drseti

Post by drseti »

My student weight limit is 250#, which is fairly typical for flight schools using LSAs. Given my weight (170#) and my plane's empty weight (766#), a 250# student would leave me with 22 gallons of fuel. Since my (admittedly conservative) fuel reserve policy is to have students land with 10 gallons (5 in each tank) remaining, that means I have 12 gallons available for a lesson, which comes to 2 hours 24 minutes at cruise. That's about how long a proper dual XC can take, so you can see that the 250# is a realistic (and non-arbitrary) student weight limit.

That said, I've had prospective students who weighed in at 260 to 270, who were strongly incentivized to diet and exercise. A couple of them have come back to me a year later, under the limit, and gone forward with their flight instruction. Think of this as an opportunity! :wink:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

My target weight is 240# and I guess unless I'm going to fly in the buff a few pounds below that. Even at that weight with their "anorexic" 140# instructor it looks like there is room for just 13 gallons of fuel(using their weight and balance calculator). I'm going to be eating allot of salads. :mrgreen:
drseti

Post by drseti »

Yes, the 162 is one of the heavier SLSAs, in part due to Cessna's decision to use the O200 engine. And, if it's equipped with a parachute, you lose yet another 40 pounds. Unfortunate.
Enjoy your salads. ;)
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Ok so it looks like I need to expand my search area. How about Central New Jersey.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Delete...
Last edited by SportPilot on Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

rcpilot wrote:Ok so it looks like I need to expand my search area. How about Central New Jersey.
Hey there. I know that Solberg Airport N51 in Central NJ has a Skycatcher for rent. When I first did some of my training over there, they had a long wait getting an engine part and installing it, but I think it is available for rent now. I'm not sure if they offer sport pilot training officially, doesn't mention anything about sport pilot training on their website, but you could call and ask.

If you are willing to go even further out west, AB Flight at Queen City Airport in Allentown, PA has Evektor LSA aircraft for rent and specializes in sport pilot training over there.

Hope this helps!